Apple snail montage

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I have been looking into getting some mystery snails lately. Do they breed in freshwater? I have only ever kept MTS, BRH, and Nerite snails.

They seem to have a lot of personality. :)
They can breed in freshwater.

BUT. You will find their eggs above the water line, they cant survive submerged. So you could easily remove them if you dont want babies. Theyre fairly large egg masses usually laid on the lid of the tank.

Or, you could remove and hatch in a humid tank if you didnt want them to hatch in the main tank...

Sexing them isnt the easiest.

Hardest issue with mysteries is buying them and them actually being mysteries and not apple snails by mistake lol

I don't think my ramshorn snails are eating the guppy grass in my aquarium, good effort on setting up the channel, I made a channel too!

I don't think my ramshorn snails are eating the guppy grass in my aquarium, good effort on setting up the channel, I made a channel too!

I checked out your shrimp fighting over wafer video, I tried to feed my ghost shrimp tetra cory wafers and they pretty much ignored it. I must have fussy shrimp ;)

I checked out your shrimp fighting over wafer video, I tried to feed my ghost shrimp tetra cory wafers and they pretty much ignored it. I must have fussy shrimp ;)

Yes I read your post, thank you for viewing it, you said your shrimp ddin't fight over it, I had Hikari Algae Wafers, maybe I can do smoe 'product testing' to see which food they fight over the most LOL...

BTW how did OP get to 157 subscribers? Which channels do you follow?
It’s easy to get subscribers. Upload often, advertise your channel, and make good quality videos. No one wants a guy that has huge sweeping motions and blurry images! :)

Subscribed! Ramshorns i find prefer to only eat dying or rotting plants and plant leaves. I adore my ramshorns, they take great care of planted tanks.

Mine have favourite foods, wafers are on the bottom of the list. They like betta pellets the most lol i keep ghosts too.

Oh. Wait. Their favourite food are my bladder snails!!

BTW how did OP get to 157 subscribers? Which channels do you follow?
Ive had my channel up for a over a decade. It used to be just my bird videos, now as i only have my two cockatiels left who are aging, i dont have many videos of them to post, but many of my subscribers are from those days i think.

For as long as ive had my channel up, its a small portion of subscribers in the big picture.

Id just naturally share your videos and let the subscribers come as they do. If people like your content, they will want to see more.

As for who i follow... hmmm i particularly like Rachel's channel. Shes got unusual fish, good source of knowledge, appealing set ups, and shes very charismatic.

Last edited:
Subscribed! Ramshorns i find prefer to only eat dying or rotting plants and plant leaves. I adore my ramshorns, they take great care of planted tanks.

Mine have favourite foods, wafers are on the bottom of the list. They like betta pellets the most lol i keep ghosts too.

Oh. Wait. Their favourite food are my bladder snails!!

Ive had my channel up for a over a decade. It used to be just my bird videos, now as i only have my two cockatiels left who are aging, i dont have many videos of spenttime looking into it them to post, but many of my subscribers are from those days i think.

For as long as ive had my channel up, its a small portion of subscribers in the big picture.

Id just naturally share your videos and let the subscribers come as they do. If people like your content, they will want to see more.

As for who i follow... hmmm i particularly like Rachel's channel. Shes got unusual fish, good source of knowledge, appealing set ups, and shes very charismatic.

Rachel O'Leary you mean? She was having a bad day, didn't know why a filter pump was not working, spent time looking into it yet the last thing she checked was the power supply which was off lol

Rachel O'Leary you mean? She was having a bad day, didn't know why a filter pump was not working, spent time looking into it yet the last thing she checked was the power supply which was off lol
Yep her. I enjoy her videos a lot.

Inspired by your work...
Just gonna wait for the hornwort to take over as i used clippings from other tanks. Plus salvinia.
20200329_122641.jpg

Home to currently three of my "green" ramshorns. I want to see if the green colour breeds true or if its an environmental condition. Tbh i think they may be algae covered golds. I got them from a local petsmart and they were jade green--all their ramshorns were. Got some free and im curious what colour they really are. So ramshorn breeding project it is!!
20200329_115854.jpg

After it matures over a few months, maybe ill add a couple of shrimp. For now just the ramshorns.

I seen my ghost shrimp pick up and spin a snail and carry it a short distance but then put it down.

I wish my shrimp would do that, I have to remove the snails by hand when there are too many of them. My RES turtles like to eat them.

Last edited:
Inspired by your work...
Just gonna wait for the hornwort to take over as i used clippings from other tanks. Plus salvinia.
View attachment 100112

Home to currently three of my "green" ramshorns. I want to see if the green colour breeds true or if its an environmental condition. Tbh i think they may be algae covered golds. I got them from a local petsmart and they were jade green--all their ramshorns were. Got some free and im curious what colour they really are. So ramshorn breeding project it is!!
View attachment 100111

After it matures over a few months, maybe ill add a couple of shrimp. For now just the ramshorns.

Wow wonderful! You need more snails though from multiple sellers to get great genome variation and keep the water clean, please be advised though if you buy too many you'll soon have so many snails you'll regret it lol

Wow wonderful! You need more snails though from multiple sellers to get great genome variation and keep the water clean, please be advised though if you buy too many you'll soon have so many snails you'll regret it lol
I pulled these guys from my main tank.
I just want to breed more of this colour, if they breed true then i have more in the main tank to spread out the genes.
If not, theres a site that sells some nice blues and id love those.

I have plenty of ramshorns but i find so long as theyre not overfed their population stays manageable. I enjoy them in my main tanks. They do a nice job keeping my plants tidy and they just make it look more natural. I have more ramshorns than bladder. I find that the more the ramshorns populate, the less bladders i get. Which, ramshorns dont explode as fast as bladders and do a bit of a better job cleaning, i prefer the ramshorns.

I got 6 tanks plus this new jar, so plenty of space for snails.

As for cleaning, yeah its a closed system so it needs refreshing and cleaning, water changes are necessary. I may also add an air pump just to keep water circulating better.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back