Apple snail montage

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CassCats

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Just an assortment of videos of my apple snails taking out every plant added to their tank. For some giggles.

**before the comments come in, yes i feed these guys daily. Their own food. They get fed steamed veggies, algae wafers, shrimp pellets, shrimp, etc. Still eat my plants hahaha** hornwort has lasted as it grows back as fast as they eat it so ive found a compromise.
But they amuse me with their appetites.

Great looking snails I had two of them but gave them to my Bother-in-law because they ate so many of my plants, I really liked them until they went on their rampage. :(

Great looking snails I had two of them but gave them to my Bother-in-law because they ate so many of my plants, I really liked them until they went on their rampage. :(
My 4 year old wanted them, for "his" tank.

Ive gone with artificial plants for the longest time but hated it. Ive tried to find a plant they wouldnt eat, or one that could handle their appetite... they even eat anubias lol

I like them, theyre more entertaining sometimes and my son adores them.

That said, he can get more nerites after these last 2 we have. Great snails, but i much prefer having a good amount of plants to help with water parameters lol

But very very smart. When i feed the fish, these guys smell the food and race to the top of the tank and beg for their own food. Ill hand feed them their own foods. Theyve learned ill give them goodies if they go to the surface and start opening their mouths out of the water lol

I agree with @utahfish Java Fern was the only plant they seemed to pass on, it could be because it has a tougher leaf. I had several and they were untouched.

Have you tried java fern? They may not eat that.
I got some java fern plantlets from the adult plant *i* killed.
Java fern is the one plant i cant keep alive, without the snails even touching it. Oh, and duck weed. I kill that too just looking at it

Ill try out a couple plantlets and see if they touch it. Ill get a video if i notice them eating that one too lol

The hornwort so far has lasted the longest.
20200327_103142.jpg

I gave them to my bother-in-law because he has only plastic plants. "let the eat plastic" (cake) :kana:

And, i can keep other plants alive just fine.

But not java fern or duck weed :lol::rofl:
20200316_064943.jpg

@Retired Viking actually when i had fake plants, they destroyed my silks. They chewed the fabric so it frayed and i worried theyd make themselves sick eating them and had to remove them lol

In my tank the hornwort was the first thing they ate :mad:then my jungle val and moneywort, The last straw was when I planted a new very nice looking moneywort and the next morning all that was left was a stem and some floating leaves:angry:
I dont mean to laugh, but i know the pain. They ate that on me too.

But they look so cute while doing bad things lol
20200321_135153.jpg

I let my hornwort float for a week to let it adapt, then anchored it to the rocks. I bought a heck ton of it though too, at least $15 worth. See how much they ate... moved some to other tanks. So the amount there is too much for them to eat quick enough. I figured if i cant stop them from doing it, i could at least find a plant that could out grow them

No problem, when I look back at it I think it is funny and laugh too. They really are good looking snails. I liked them best until they became plant eating machines

I got some java fern plantlets from the adult plant *i* killed.
Java fern is the one plant i cant keep alive, without the snails even touching it. Oh, and duck weed. I kill that too just looking at it

Ill try out a couple plantlets and see if they touch it. Ill get a video if i notice them eating that one too lol

The hornwort so far has lasted the longest.
View attachment 100048
Wow duckweed are like a plague of locusts for me i cant get rid of it. I had some dry duckweed on some drift wood put it in the tank and in no time it had taken over my tank, theyre like tribbles.
As for java fern the best fern i ever had was in a tank with two 20 watt fluorescent tubes one tube was a 6500K bulb and the other a dark light. You know like the purple ones that make everything glow in the dark and this was way before glow fish, that darn java fern grew like crazy while everything else either died or was covered in algae:)

I have been looking into getting some mystery snails lately. Do they breed in freshwater? I have only ever kept MTS, BRH, and Nerite snails.

They seem to have a lot of personality. :)

You know like the purple ones that make everything glow in the dark and this was way before glow fish, that darn java fern grew like crazy while everything else either died or was covered in algae:)
Really? Your Java Fern grew under UV light? That's very weird.

Really? Your Java Fern grew under UV light? That's very weird.
Yup thats what i thought. It was in a 29 with a couple swords and some bacopa the swords werent doing so well and the bacopa died but the java fern took off and got big and lush, this was close to 15 years ago and i didnt really know much about plants but i liked the hue the darklight gave the tank coupled with the regular bulb, sometimes at night i would leave just the dark light on, the java fern loved it. It was weird.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back