Aponogeton Ulvaceus, Flowering And Care?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

snazy

Moved On
Reaction score
Hi again,

I was just wondering if anyone has kept Aponogeton Ulvaceus and if it needs a dormant period, when and how do I go about it?

Also, is it possible to propagate in some way, either via the flowers or through the bulb?

It has grown two flower stalks which will flower soon. The stalks seem to grow very long, the first one is over a meter long and eventually got tangled from the water flow.

You can see below the two stalks that look like a green rope on the picture, one is pointing towards the surface, the second is shorter and the two kind of create a V shape at the back(sorry for the platies, they came to check out if the camera is edible
smile.png
)

dscf3433l.jpg

dscf3431y.jpg

The tangled part of the longer flower stalk below:
dscf3438e.jpg

And here you can see the top of the long one going tryough the surface:

dscf3429k.jpg

flowers can be propgated via pollen i think that some types are self fertile i know mines supposed to be but isent, or the riskier way is splitting the bulb. some types have to go into dormancy i think (best check) that you do this by removing it from the water and keeping the bulb in a cool dam area (but dont quote me on that) i know criptus doesn't have to have this dormant period (this is the one iv got)

Since it's two flower stalks, maybe I can try with a brush or something between the two once they flower?
Although if I manage to get seeds, they'll either get washed away by the filter or the bottom feeders will dig them out from the sand so not much hope there I suppose?...
And how do I know when it needs to go into dormancy? Will the leaves fall off and it will stop growing maybe?
I even read somewhere to cut the flower stalks because flowering causes it to need a dormancy period? not sure if that's correct or not..?

Most reactions

trending

Back