Apistos with cpos

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AJE

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I plan on starting back up in the hobby when I go to college this fall. I was thinking of doing a 20 gallon with dwarf Mexican crays and a fish I could potentially breed. I was thinking of apistos being that fish but I’m worried that if the apistos spawn they will become aggressive towards the cpos and kill them. Is this a valid concern? If this is going to be a blood bath what other fish would you recommend for me to breed along with the cpos

So I plan on starting back up in the hobby when I go to college this fall. I was thinking of doing a 20 gallon with dwarf Mexican crays and a fish I could potentially breed. I was thinking of apistos being that fish but I’m worried that if the apistos spawn they will become aggressive towards the cpos and kill them. Is this a valid concern? If this is going to be a blood bath what other fish would you recommend for me to breed along with the cpos
no i think the crawdads will eat the apstios when they are sleeping lol

what is a cpos?

don't keep crayfish in aquariums with fish because the crays are nocturnal predators and eat anything they can catch.
cpos are Mexican dwarf crayfish

Apistogrammas are bottom level fish.
They are easily targeted by the Mexican dwarf crayfish especially when they sleep at night.
In the past, I had one female Apistogramma Cacatuoides that was sick.
Upon seeing the sick fish, the dwarf crayfish immediately grabbed and killed the fish before I could intervene.
The crayfish even tried to grab my Balloon Pearl Gouramis.

Only top or middle level fish that don't sleep at night are safe with crayfish.
Also, avoid fish with long fins which the crayfish can grab them.

Probably fish like Harlequin Rasboras, Espei/Hengeli Rasboras, Sparkling Gouramis are safe with the crayfish provided they don't come down to the bottom to sleep at night.

Most Tetras such as Cardinal, Neon Tetras will sleep at the bottom of the tank at night.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back