Apistogramma

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stevens2394

Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering if the agassizzi or macmasteri is easier to care for ? And which one gets bigger ? Just looking for a pair . They will be the only 2 fish in the tank

Could you provide us details regarding your tank?

How long has it been set up?
What are you water parameters (pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate).
What size is the tank?

Both are fairly easy to care for but the agassizzi will struggle to successfully breed unless the ph is in mid/low 6. I believe macs will breed in harder water with higher ph but still it is helpful to get the ph just below 7 if possible. I believe both are harem breeders (1 male multiple females). As such they will chase away non-breeding females so you should have a tank that is either a bit larger (20 longs are great) with good hiding places or be prepare to remove the female if your male won't leave her alone.

Could you provide us details regarding your tank?

How long has it been set up?
What are you water parameters (pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate).
What size is the tank?
15 gallon all water parameters are 0 PH is about 6.5. I think I purchased him like that because he was like that in the bag . Don’t know how I didn’t realize it

Life is like a box of chocolate; all sort of confusion until you get a good solid bite.

Both are fairly easy to care for but the agassizzi will struggle to successfully breed unless the ph is in mid/low 6. I believe macs will breed in harder water with higher ph but still it is helpful to get the ph just below 7 if possible. I believe both are harem breeders (1 male multiple females). As such they will chase away non-breeding females so you should have a tank that is either a bit larger (20 longs are great) with good hiding places or be prepare to remove the female if your male won't leave her alone.
This is happening to me, My male Borellii is aggressive to both females even know I can see a breeding dress in one. He chases both away. Both females appear to ok with eachother. Bits of chasing but nothing like what the male does to them. It's a 70l Dennerle. I took out the 4 endlers to see if it did anything but no. Endlers were fine. Only shrimp in tank with them now. Maybe take the male out for a week?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back