Apistogramma

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
Are apistos difficult to breed? i really like them but i also enjoy breeding as a hobby.

just looking for info really and how difficult would it be, if to difficult i might instead get something like Kribs to breed.

They are not hard to breed you just need the right set up and quite soft water with a ph under 7. Which species where you thinking of?

Apistogramma cacatuoides are easy to breed and most pairs make great parents and rear up their young first go. For best results, get a few pairs and let them choose their own partners. Then move the prs into their own tanks.

Other species of Apistogramma can be a little more difficult to breed but if you feed them well and keep them in good conditions, they will breed readily.

The cockatoo dwarf cichlid is Apistogramma cacatuoides.

The double reds are nice fish. :)

Apistogramma cacatuoides are easy to breed and most pairs make great parents and rear up their young first go. For best results, get a few pairs and let them choose their own partners. Then move the prs into their own tanks.

Other species of Apistogramma can be a little more difficult to breed but if you feed them well and keep them in good conditions, they will breed readily.

The cockatoo dwarf cichlid is Apistogramma cacatuoides.

The double reds are nice fish. :)
if i buy say 5-6 of them from lfs for a 125L tank will i be able to house them all in that tank ? or will they become aggressive towards eachother once paired of and breeding

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

If the tank is 4 ft long and had lots of hiding places, you could have 2 males and a couple of females.

You might get away with 2 prs in a well planted tank that is 3 ft long but it would be iffy.

If the tank is less than 3 ft long, just go with 1 pr.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

If the tank is 4 ft long and had lots of hiding places, you could have 2 males and a couple of females.

You might get away with 2 prs in a well planted tank that is 3 ft long but it would be iffy.

If the tank is less than 3 ft long, just go with 1 pr.
ive got the fluval roma 125 width is 80cm depth 35cm height 50cm ill have to buy a like 6 at the shop cause idk if ill be getting males or females my lfs seems to get the fish i very young so be hard to tell

Look at the tail. Male Apistogramma cacatuoides have a squared off tail. Females will have a round tail. Males have a bigger dorsal fin and the first 3 fin ray on the dorsal fin will be longer and black.

If you take some pictures of the fish at the shop, we might be able to sex them for you.

Most reactions

Back