Apistogramma tankmates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

modernhamlet

Just this guy...
Reaction score
I'm trying to work out a stocking plan for a 40g breeder tank that will be heavily planted and contain a trio of an as of yet undecided apistogramma species that I would like to have spawn and raise fry in the tank. I was going to go with a pencilfish species, but they have a tendency to be jumpers and I was hoping for an open tank design.

Any suggestions?

rasbora species , I like harlequins ........cherry barbs .[ so far no jumpers ]

I currently have both with my cockatoos , among other fish in my 70 gal.

Or just be sure you have a good lid .

It depends on how many fry you want to survive. Otos are great tankmates, especially in a planted tank. I would wait for the tank to mature a bit first though. Pencilfish and Hatchetfish are excellent as they present little danger to fry and enjoy similar water conditions. Hatchetfish are notorius jumpers as you probably know - I was wasn't aware that Pencilfish were tankjumpers though. As for fish that may get some fry, I'm not sure how much of a threat rummynose/firehead tetras are but I suspect that they are less of a threat than say Cardinals or many other tetras. Mine rarely go near the females, especially if they have fry or eggs. They seem easier to deter and defend against, They are a very tight schooling fish so when one is chased off the others instinctively follow. Perhaps someone else has had more experience mixing them.

Thanks guys.

I'm currently considering rummynose and blue emperor tetras (Inpaichthys kerri). The rummys seem a pretty safe bet and should thrive in the tank I'm designing. I'm not as sure about the blue emperors. They are quite stunning and are among my top choices for tetras to keep, but I haven't found much information about how well they would get along with apistos and apisto fry. I know they are nothing like the notorious fry hunting emperor tetra (Nematobrycon palmeri), but would like to hear from someone that has kept them about their behavior.

Pygmy coreys are being recommended for fry tanks by breeders. They don't take up much room. :lol:

I got twenty-five and they swim around looking like otos. They are so small they can be added w/o taking much space. They are used by betta breeders, which is where I got mine.

I thought they would be cool in a dwarf/pygmy gourami/cockatoo tank.

jollysue said:
Pygmy coreys are being recommended for fry tanks by breeders. They don't take up much room. :lol:
I know it's practically blasphemy here on TFF, but I actually think corys are terribly ugly little things! :whistle:

But thank you for the recommendation, which is a good one. :)

I have read of people keeping killifish with Apistogramma. They enjoy similar conditions and may be worth looking into.

Griz said:
I have read of people keeping killifish with Apistogramma. They enjoy similar conditions and may be worth looking into.
[snapback]903981[/snapback]​
Just read that too, griz. I've never kept killies before. My only worry is the fact that that they only live for a year or less, which is pretty darn short for a fish that requires unusual breeding conditions.

I've just been googling killifish. They seem well adapted to the type of tank you are looking at but I understand what you say about them being short lived. Some of the plant spawning varieties seem easy to breed however so I wonder if there are varieties that might be able to maintain a population in a well planted tank. Perhaps with a bit of help from you. They like top level plants and IME cacs and rummynose don't spend much time near the top. The eggs and fry would certainly be a tasty treat for your apistos and whatever other fish you decide on. It might be an interesting short-term experiment, they certainly are beautiful fish.

Griz said:
I've just been googling killifish. They seem well adapted to the type of tank you are looking at but I understand what you say about them being short lived. Some of the plant spawning varieties seem easy to breed however so I wonder if there are varieties that might be able to maintain a population in a well planted tank. Perhaps with a bit of help from you. They like top level plants and IME cacs and rummynose don't spend much time near the top. The eggs and fry would certainly be a tasty treat for your apistos and whatever other fish you decide on. It might be an interesting short-term experiment, they certainly are beautiful fish.
[snapback]904648[/snapback]​
Without a doubt!

You know, it never occured to me that a short lived species (if acquired for a reasonable price), would make a lovely resident in a more long-term oriented tank. When the killies die of natural causes, I can always try something new... or a new species of killie. The surface plant spawners in particular look interesting.

Thanks, griz. Consider them added to the short list. :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back