Apistogramma Tank Only...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

hexy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey!!

I am looking to turn my 190 litre tank into a focus on Apistogramma's and mainly Cacatuoides / Cockatoos. Has anyone experience in keeping a number, and what recommended number, in a large tank, and successfully bred them?

I am worried I will not see any fry grow up if too many in there? But hoped to have maybe 10 in there and then a couple shoals of cardinals and harlequins. Also have a bulldog plec which may cause problems?!

See pictrues below of what I have so far....

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

Also I have what I believe is an apistogramma atahualpa but wanted to get advise on here???

IMG_1002.jpg

I lost the female but he was more colorful before!

Thanks!!

I have a breeding trio of cockatoo cichlids, i find keeping them in a ration 0 1:2 s best, as the male will breed with both female, and both female will protect both spawns. I have never kept to male together though, so i have no idea what will happen. When breeding the fry are small, so it is best to feed with banana worms.
I would think they would be fine with the tetras ect, but i would watch out for a plec, as my plec made me loose a few lots of fry/eggs.

Thanks
Westwood

I have a breeding trio of cockatoo cichlids, i find keeping them in a ration 0 1:2 s best, as the male will breed with both female, and both female will protect both spawns. I have never kept to male together though, so i have no idea what will happen. When breeding the fry are small, so it is best to feed with banana worms.
I would think they would be fine with the tetras ect, but i would watch out for a plec, as my plec made me loose a few lots of fry/eggs.

Thanks
Westwood

Thanks Westwood.

One of the females has taken over the back of the tank so I am hopeful, though this has been for a week or so now so would have expect to see some fry? How long do they keep the fry hidden for?

Also any idea of the other apistogramma? Do oyu know if they will be ok together?

Any update as i am quite interested in getting a pair of these.

Cheers.

Hi,
I've got a 248l tank and I have unsucessful kept two males (with 4 females), the one male was always hiding but eventually the bullying was too much for him.... It depends a lot on the individual apisto tbh mine is VERY dominant and wants the tank to himself

Minnt - a pair in my opinion are fanatastic to watch, the male is always 'dancing' and fluffing up his fins and she just keeps swimming away - very funny but that said I would like them to have fry, time will tell I suppose.... I may get another female just to give her a bit a competition lol!!!!!

Any update as i am quite interested in getting a pair of these.

Cheers.

Hi,
I've got a 248l tank and I have unsucessful kept two males (with 4 females), the one male was always hiding but eventually the bullying was too much for him.... It depends a lot on the individual apisto tbh mine is VERY dominant and wants the tank to himself

Minnt - a pair in my opinion are fanatastic to watch, the male is always 'dancing' and fluffing up his fins and she just keeps swimming away - very funny but that said I would like them to have fry, time will tell I suppose.... I may get another female just to give her a bit a competition lol!!!!!

That could very well work i think, if you added another female then might introduce a bit of competition and the urgency to breed before the other?! Worth a go, definately!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back