Apistogramma stocking

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aquarium guy person

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many Apistogramma cacatuoides I can pull off in my 40 gallon tank without much harm? I have all the right water requirements for them I’m just wondering if I can keep more than one male in there (with females of course)

I think you would need a very heavily planted tank to cut down sightlines, even then I'd be dubious as to whether it would work out well.

I have tried this with 2 apisto males of different species (Cacatuoides and Aggasizi) and I had to move one of them. This was in a well planted 55gal.

I wouldn't. Some species work well as a harem. 1 male with 2-3 females.

Or even more females!
If I'm not mistaken, 7or 8 females to 1 male is the way to go with apistos.

It's hard to say. There isn't a whole lot of info on apistos on the internet, but they are growing in popularity.
As a longtime cichlid keeper, I'd say a breeding pair will spell trouble for the rest of the tankmates. Having multiple pairs I'd assume would just be chaos.

Last edited:
Apistogramma cacatuoides is a harem species, so I agree with others than one male in this tank would be it, along with a group of females. Each female should have a space roughly 30 by 40 cm which is about three in this sized tank ((Linke & Staeck, 1994).

If it's a community tank, just have 1 pr (1 male & 1 female). Let them set up a home at one end of the tank and they will be fine. If you have a number of females, there is more chance of protective parents having a go at the other fishes in the tank. Having said that, Apistogrammas are pretty small and don't do a lot of damage to other fish.

Colin raises a valid issue about other species in this tank. If your intention is to raise any fry, substrate fish (Corydoras and most catfish) will put an end to that.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back