Apistogramma cacatuoides in 70 liter tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jaafar2000

Reaction score
I have an empty cycled 70 liter tank and was hoping to set it up for breeding Apistogramma cacatuoides. The tank is lightly planted, has lots of hiding places and good water quality. I love to hear what you guys think about this and tips of anyone who has a similar setup. I was also wondering if I should get a pair or a trio. I have read that they thrive more in a harem but think keeping a pair would be better for the fry (if I hopefully ever get there) and the water parameters (less amonia). Altough I am also worried the female might get harassed if she is the only one in the tank. What do you guys think?
Thx!

Apistogrammas and most cichlids do best in pairs (1 male & 1 female).

Have an air operated sponge filter, heater, some sand or gravel on the bottom. Add a few plants and a cave and put the fish in. Feed them well and do regular water changes and they will breed.

Correct me if I'm wrong but....

Apistogramma live in harems. They live in slow moving water so a sponge filter is best. You can go up to 6 or 7 females to one male. The male will fertilize multiple batches of eggs at the same time and does not care for the fry the same way other cichlids will. The female will likely chase the male away after the eggs hatch. Females will steal fry from each other and care for it as their own.

They require soft water and live plants. They are certainly an interesting fish. Due to their social behavior, size, and mostly peaceful nature, an apisto colony will make a great setup for your tank size.

With all that being said, a pair will work but the male may bully the female a bit. Males are bigger than female but still small. Your tank will look empty with only 2 small fish in it.

I think that some apisto species can be kept as harems but others should be kept as a pair.

In the UK, 70 litre tanks usually have a footprint around 60 x 30 cm - 24 x 12 inches. In a 70 litre tank I would not keep more than a pair. Of course there may be different sized 70 litre tanks in Sweden.

I think that some apisto species can be kept as harems but others should be kept as a pair.

In the UK, 70 litre tanks usually have a footprint around 60 x 30 cm - 24 x 12 inches. In a 70 litre tank I would not keep more than a pair. Of course there may be different sized 70 litre tanks in Sweden.

I think you are right. I believe the cacatuoides which is what op wants lives in a harem.

I'm not sure about standard tank dimensions over there, but if it's anywhere close to our 20 long, more then a pair would work.

European tank manufacturers often make small volume tanks as 'tall' rather than 'long'. There are exceptions, though. We need the dimensions of Jafaar2000's tank so we know which shape s/he has.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back