Apistogramma Borelli "opal"

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jer-

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi

I just went to one of my LFS to check out their fish stock... hoping they had some new Apistogramma varieties. All theyve had for a loooong time were Agassizzis, viejita types one and two, cockatoos, M.Ramirez, and Kribs.. Oh and Yellow Borellis a long time ago...

Well, i was happy to see some Borellis cos they havnt had them for nearly half a year or more now... so i decided to get some...Ive had all the other apistos in their stock b4 and i jus wanted to try out something new...

But as i was about to call for a staff, i saw some Borelli "Opal"! I looked at the price tag on top of the tank and saw that they were only 2 Zlotychs (polish money) more expensive than the original Borellis....so i decided to get them instead...

Now...my problem is that they are MUCH LESS colorful than the original borellis and dont have that much red on their face... I didnt really think about this fact then at the shop cos i was jus too excited to see them Opals... but now im wishing i got the Original Borellis instead.

Are they supposed to get more colorful as they age? mine is already at 1.5 inches...
What can i do to bring out their color? I feed them Bloodworms and Brineshrimp.

Thanks

:drool: i can't find those for love or money around here!! i've only seen pictures on the internet, but their red facial markings combined with the pale blue bodies are just stunning. i'm sure that they'll color up as they grow more comfortable with their surroundings; have you tried adding any spirulina to their diets? i've yet to find a fish that won't munch on an occasional algae tablet.

Thanks Pica-nuttalli, that jus made me cherish my Opals even more. :lol:

BUT i can assure u, mine is not as pretty as the ones on the net... mine has less of that red facial marking.

and BUT again, it seems to be getting more and more of tha Blue hue everyday.

Are Spiruilna algea wafers supposed to bring out color in fish? I actually have some of that anyways as i used to have an adult Farlowella Acus (twig catfish) but that died when i went on a two week holiday and my fish "care taker" (didnt really take good care by the looks/result of it) didnt do water changes every 3-4 days like i asked him to and didnt feed them the wafers only flakes.

I have one more question. Will the Opal breed with Normal Yellow faced Borellis? cos my LFS has some stunning Yellow face Borellis as well. I was thinking of getting two of their female yellow face so that i would have an Opal male, an Opal female and two Yellow Faced Females.

:thumbs:

Jer ,

Try using color enhancing food , it may work , may not .

you may just have duds , hope not though .

If they breed for you maybe some of the fry with have this red color in the face you are looking for .

I just recently got a trio of the everyday variety Borellis , male from one shop , females at another .

Borelli was the first apisto I ever kept , could never find famales so I kind of gave up on them , till now .

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseac.../10112/cid/2539

Sorry, but what is a "dud"?

thanks for the advice i have some color-enhancing food so i can try that out as soon as possible.

Sorry, but what is a "dud"?

Sorry I forget sometimes that people here are from all over the world .

just a term used to desribe something plain/boring , or lacking in some way . In your fishes case , the red color .

How long have you had them , they could just need time to settle in a bit .

oh no

a dud eh... or like a loser fish...

:X haha no worries...

Ive had him and a her for a few days now...3 days.

oh no

a dud eh... or like a loser fish...

:X haha no worries...

Ive had him and a her for a few days now...3 days.

give them some time , and a varied diet , they might surprise you
:)

Sorry but I have one more question. Will the Opal breed with Normal Yellow faced Borellis? cos my LFS has some stunning Yellow face Borellis as well. I was thinking of getting two of their female yellow face so that i would have an Opal male, an Opal female and two Yellow Faced Females.

thanks

I don't see why not , if they are the same exact species , just a color variation .

I don't know if these are the exact same species [At the moment] or not , someone else here may .

If not exact , but closely related , they may breed , having them breed would be your choice .

It been said here [ on these forums , by others ] that a pair of triple red cockatoos can yield double reds , and orange flash , as well as less colorful variations of cockatoos , yet all the same species of fish , simply different color variants .

try the link I pm'd , let me know if you find anything out .

regarding algae wafers...

well, i know that my fish love it and i'm dead certain that a spirulina-heavy diet is why my paradise fish keeps such nice color. :dunno: certainly couldn't hurt to try it ;) you can easily break a whole wafer into chunks and try feeding just a little piece first.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back