Apistogramma Agassizii male or female?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ZanaZoola14

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am wondering whether this fish is male or female. They are around an inch in length, and I believe I've seen them colour yellow at points; however, I don't have an image of this.

They have a faint black line through her tail fin; however, they also have black on their ventral fin. On their dorsal fin, there is a small line of orange/red, like a millimetre wide.

They were in this tub while I was sorting out the tank; I grabbed the photos before they were placed back into the tank.

They used to have a male; however, the male passed away after what I found out was internal parasites which I treated the tank for and have no signs of anymore. They've had free roam of the tank for a few months now. So I don't think if it was a he, they'd be a sneaker anymore.

Attachments

• IMG20220621112710.jpg
    IMG20220621112710.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG20220621112737.jpg
    IMG20220621112737.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 61
Hi welcome to the forum :)

I would say that is a male with all those face squiggles and the dorsal fin looks like it extends towards the tail like I'd expect a male too.

Let them settle into the tank a bit and see if you can get some more pictures - full side on body would be good. Very interested to see the rest of your tank too sounds great!

Wills

Hi welcome to the forum :)

I would say that is a male with all those face squiggles and the dorsal fin looks like it extends towards the tail like I'd expect a male too.

Let them settle into the tank a bit and see if you can get some more pictures - full side on body would be good. Very interested to see the rest of your tank too sounds great!

Wills
I have these two pictures of them. I've tried seeing whether they'd flare to a mirror and got no reaction except moving away. The second picture is from when they were startled, and they extended their fins.

I do hope they're not a he, as they're currently in a tank with other apistos, including a male.
There hasn't been any significant fighting, more the postering that the apisto did with every fish at first.

Attachments

• IMG20220621115824.jpg
    IMG20220621115824.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG20220621133150.jpg
    IMG20220621133150.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG20220621134320.jpg
    IMG20220621134320.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 62
Its either a colourful female or a beta male. Are the confident in the tank and how do they interact with the other cichlids?

How big is the tank - looks really nice btw :) One thing I'd like to see on it is a black background though just to hide the wires/pipes etc and it will make the plants and fish pop out a bit more too.

Wills

Its either a colourful female or a beta male. Are the confident in the tank and how do they interact with the other cichlids?

How big is the tank - looks really nice btw :) One thing I'd like to see on it is a black background though just to hide the wires/pipes etc and it will make the plants and fish pop out a bit more too.

Wills
They're confident but do like to stick to their corner. Flared at a male cockatoo somewhat at first, but has calmed down, will even be next to each other. Waved fins at a female cockatoo, and ignores the male agassazii. This is heavily packed, however, they're all getting on and a back up is ready if needed.
They previously were with adult kribs but just ran, but was happy to be mostly peaceful with the juveniles.

It is a 30L, and the reason their is no background currently, is that I have an elderly blue-tongue who can not do as much as he used to but really enjoys looking at the shiny colourful fish go by in front of his home. Otherwise, I would have a background (I have the stuff ready to do that background even).

They're confident but do like to stick to their corner. Flared at a male cockatoo somewhat at first, but has calmed down, will even be next to each other. Waved fins at a female cockatoo, and ignores the male agassazii. This is heavily packed, however, they're all getting on and a back up is ready if needed.
They previously were with adult kribs but just ran, but was happy to be mostly peaceful with the juveniles.

It is a 30L, and the reason their is no background currently, is that I have an elderly blue-tongue who can not do as much as he used to but really enjoys looking at the shiny colourful fish go by in front of his home. Otherwise, I would have a background (I have the stuff ready to do that background even).
When you say 30L do you mean 30 Litres? Or 30 Long?

Wills

Cool so about 125 litres?

Do you have 2 Cockatoos and 2 Agassiziis in there?

Wills
Around that, yes. I think 120 litres.

Currently, I do. That wasn't the original intention, as I have other tanks running for the Agassiziis (if the one not gendered is one). However, I decided to test whether they could be together with my set-up. I've currently had no issues but have no understanding that this will stay if one starts to breed.

Around that, yes. I think 120 litres.

Currently, I do. That wasn't the original intention, as I have other tanks running for the Agassiziis (if the one not gendered is one). However, I decided to test whether they could be together with my set-up. I've currently had no issues but have no understanding that this will stay if one starts to breed.
You could be ok but it is a risk so good you have the back up :) The other thing to keep an eye on is if one pair gets dominant and even though theres no fighting, the other fish hide a lot and start to lose out on food which can lead to stress and be a bit of an open door for diseases.

Sounds like you have it under control though :)

Wills

You could be ok but it is a risk so good you have the back up :) The other thing to keep an eye on is if one pair gets dominant and even though theres no fighting, the other fish hide a lot and start to lose out on food which can lead to stress and be a bit of an open door for diseases.

Sounds like you have it under control though :)

Wills
I have it set up with spots only the smaller apistos can get into to help them separate better. And the male cockatoo proved that he could not fit in that tunnel or those rocks.
I love to watch them feed and scavenge, so I'll be able to keep an eye on that.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back