Apistogramma Agassizii care

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Aquarium guy person

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently bought one male and 2 female Apistogramma Agassizii and I just kind of need help on how to breed them since I canā€™t find much online. I have many little caves and artificial plants but I donā€™t know if they want floating plants as my tank is kind of bright. Only one female comes up to the front of the tank and they tend to only stay on one side at all. Any tips would help including diet, lighting, decor, tankmates, and filtration on how to breed them and care for the babies

Floating plants will help. The geographic range of this species is vast, but shaded forest is common.

Other fish, termed "dither fish," are often recommended to ease the shyness of these fish (dwarf cichlids in general). But before suggesting those, what is the tank size (dimensions and volume, both matter here)?

Tank space also matters because in this species the female can be very determined (= aggressive) in keeping the male well out of her space as she guards the eggs/fry, and the male can be killed. Other females present may also be attacked. Once you have an obvious pairing, the additional female could be removed to solve this.

What are your water parameters, which refers to GH, pH and temperature. Do you know if these fish are wild caught, or tank raised?

I think they are tank raised but I donā€™t know really. The tank is a 40 gallon breeder with many hiding spaces. Iā€™m not a live plant kind of person so I have artificial plants. Last time I checked all parameters were good for these fish but I canā€™t remember them off the top of my head. I will post a picture of the tank soon and redo the testing soon.

I think they are tank raised but I donā€™t know really. The tank is a 40 gallon breeder with many hiding spaces. Iā€™m not a live plant kind of person so I have artificial plants. Last time I checked all parameters were good for these fish but I canā€™t remember them off the top of my head. I will post a picture of the tank soon and redo the testing soon.

That's a good sized tank (I have one of these in my fish room) for this, and once we have the parameters I should be able to suggest suitable tankmates. Floating plants really are beneficial, for water quality (significant issue for dwarf cichlids) and shade. Even some artificial floating plants if you must.

My Water hardness is about 72.3 mg/l

Perfect. The pH should lower on the acidic side with water this soft (actually very soft), another benefit.

Dither Fish. You have much to choose from. The smaller characins (hatchetfish, some pencilfish, some tetras) especially those species that tend to remain in the upper half of the water column (hatchetfish and some of the pencils are good for this). Avoid all danios and barbs, they are generally much too active. Rasboras can work, as most are upper level species, if you want to not stay with South American species. Substrate fish are very riskly, especially if you intend spawning and raising fry. Most catfish are nocturnal, and can easily swallow the eggs/fry during darkness. Corydoras are expert at this. And a female mothering Apistogramma can become a real killer.

What about Kuhli loaches. I have some Kuhli loaches in there from before I put the Agassizii in there. I also have a Bristlenose pleco in there

What about Kuhli loaches. I have some Kuhli loaches in there from before I put the Agassizii in there. I also have a Bristlenose pleco in there

Nocturnal, they will easily eat eggs or fry if the eggs should survive to hatch.

And the pleco?

Sorry, missed that. Bristlenose (Ancistrus sp.) are omnivore but primarily herbivore. They feed by browsing/grazing biofilms on all surfaces, and in these biofilms live algae and critters. Very few fish, maybe even none of them, will ignore eggs.

So for the dithers, do you know any that have a very low chance of even thinking of eating eggs of fry?

Yes. While basically any fish will eat eggs they come across, the upper level fish tend to not be active at night when the cichlids are "sleeping" and unable to protect eggs/fry. During the day most females are well able to protect eggs and fry, and upper level fish tend to ignore what is going on down on the substrate anyway.

This is why hatchetfish are so ideal; the smaller species in Carnegiella are particularly good (C. strigata the marble hatchet, or C. marthae, or C. myersi the smallest species). And some of the pencilfish (Nannostomus eques swims at an oblique angle and remains at the surface among floating plants; N. marginatus is peaceful). The Ember Tetra Hyphessobrycon amandae, the dwarf rasboras in the genus Boraras, Parachierodon axelrodi (cardinal tetra) or the smaller P. simulans (false or green neon tetra). The Paracheirodon species are mid/lower level but they are no match for a female cichlid.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back