Apisto tank mates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

glolite

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Having just bought my first pair of apistos and read up on them, I'm a little confused because they are said to be fairly peaceful community fish. Does this mean community with only other dwarf central americans or any fish ie: can I keep platys with them? They are in a 30g with said platys and 2 hoplo catfish (babies). There are also a few gupps in there which can be moved if necessary.

I think the peaceful community cichlids, like the apistos can be kept with pretty much anything that isn't particularly territorial. I wouldn't keep them with dwarf gouramis, or other cichilids though... a pair would be good in a 20 gallon tank at most, and I know they'd go well with neon tetras and glolight tetras... It all depends on which other fish you're considering on keeping them with...

Thanks, I was thinking guppies, platys and mollies. My tetra tank is separate as I'm hoping the tetras might breed?

I have found that apistos are good in community tanks. Mine are kept with loaches, tetras, plecos, catfish, and bala sharks. They have no problems in the tank, and compete for food just fine. Apistos will be most comfortable in a tank that has plenty of hiding place (ie. caves and plants). Dither fish are also a good idea (basically tetras, platties, and guppies are fine).

I have a trio of Apistos in a 40 High with a pair of Rams (Dwarf Cichlids), a Severum (Cichlid) and a number of Guppies (Community Fish) and have seen no aggression what so ever...

If that tells me anything it is that they get along with everyone!

In another tank I have seen a strong male Cockatoo (Apistogramma Cacatuoides) chasing and eating Guppy fry, so they will eat other fish if they are small enough.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back