Api Master Test Photos - What Are My Readings? (I'm A Bit Colourbl

BubblesLotsOfBubbles

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So its true my eyes see different colours from each other to start with, and during my Photography lessons my Tutor asked if I was colour blind after seeing a print I thought was nice and neutral
sad.png

So can I have your eyes on my first results using the API Master Test Kit please? This btw is my fresh tapwater so these are base levels but are important for chosing the right beasties to live in it so quite important.

Here is the Test Card and I'm showing tests moving from left (pH) to right (Nitrate).

TESTCARD.jpg

So here is the pH test which I think shows 7.6 (or higher?)
PHTEST.jpg

Here is the High Range pH that shows 7.4?
HIRANGEPH.jpg

Ammonia - Hummm! Green tint to the darker part of the test tube on the left says maybe .25 but the brighter bit of the tube on the righ looks clear of green so 0ppm? :confused: (They shouldn't really use round tubes IMO. Soil test ph kits usually use square cross sectional 'tubes' so there is a nice uniform colour to look at)
AMMONIA.jpg

Nitrite -  just the one because here I'm sure it is zero.
NITRITE.jpg

Finally Nitrate is another I'm not sure about. Best guess is 5ppm?
NITRATE.jpg

Well, of course there are so many variables that comes to play when it comes to reading these test kits, weather, time of day, using indoor lights and which room you usually use. For consistency best to use the same area and same sort of times for these tests.

Also in photographs, colours can appear darker or lighter, so its not really a reliable way of testing to be honest.

Anohow, from your pics, i figure you have :

pH -           7.8
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite       - 0 ppm
Nitrate      - 5 ppm (do bear in mind the nitrate test is the least accurate of these tests)

Basically, your tank water parameters are good if your tank is cycled, or this is what you get if have not started the fishless cycle yet and nitrate is from tap water.

Ph 7.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate over 5 and under 10, but I don't trust this test kit.

pH is not as high as 7.8 to my eyes.  I would interpret that reading in the range 7.4 - 7.6.

Ammonia and nitrite zero, nitrate 5ppm or lower.

Look down through the tube, rather than along the side for easier reading, and always in natural light, if possible.

If I may make a suggestion, check your ph again after leaving some tap water out for about 24 hours to make sure there are no 'additives' still to gas off.

Thanks all for your input.

Hi Ch4rlie the pics were just to share with yourselves as its the best I can do for that. I did make notes from what I saw with my eyes then noticed a thing or two with the pics as I was doing this thread. I actually thought my pH (like DaizeUK) was 7.6-7.4 so there is two of us in that camp and two in 7.8. Eeek 7.8 is a lot higher than I wanted. I hoped for around 7-7.4

On all the rest I'm agreeing with you all (0 nitrite and ammonia and ca. 5ppm nitrate) with my first hand observations so that is good.

Anymore reads on the pH welcome to clarify different readings.

I will try that fm1978 and eaglesaquarium I think I will look for some square tubes and if I can get them the right size I will post pics of readings too - just for peoples interest. They might prefer the appearance of the water in those over the shipped round tubes.

pH of 7.8 is not that much different from 7.6 or even 7.4 tbh really so I would not worry so much about that as long as your tank param are stable.

Lots of fish can easily adapt to slightly different levels of pH so not a major issue imo, although big differences in water hardness / softness is a different matter and much more difficult for fish to adapt to.

I was really wanting it down 7-7.4 area as I wanted a nice Betta, plus that range seemed (from fish profiles I looked at) to be the most amenable to a wider choice of fish. Well, I go what I got and don't want to start changing pH with various additives anyhoow.

Most reactions

trending

Back