Api Co2 Plant Booster

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

slimeneo

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys! I found the API CO2 plant booster: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11785682&clickid=cart
And I looked online and it seems to be relatively new. Amazon doesn't sell it and neither does my LFS :(

My water pH is 8.2, and my fish would be more comfortable in a more neutral pH. So I figured I could get CO2 which is good for my plants AND can decrease my pH. I plan on doing small doses and see how it affects my pH. I haven't ordered it yet, however.

I have read a couple of reviews of Seachem Flourish Excel, which is essentially close to what API CO2 plant booster is. But people have said it kills certain plants, such as moneywort. I have moneywort myself, and that would be a problem. And I'm not sure if Flourish excel has the CO2 I need to lower my pH a bit.

So my question is basically: has anyone used API CO2 Plant Booster, and did it help your plants/affect your pH? Thanks!

Pressurized Co2 will effect your ph. Liquid carbon wont. Not in the concentration that will be maintained to help the plants. Not all plants can use liquid carbon for photosynthesis. I use excel in one of my tanks. It does help a little, and cuts down on the algae. It wont modify your water chemistry that much though.

Ok, thank you! Do you think this could work? http://www.petco.com/product/119076/Aqua-Medic-CO2-Reactor-100-for-Aquariums.aspx?CoreCat=MM_FishSupplies_CO2Systems

(oh I see, I'll need a DIY co2 system with this)

Since I don't have a LOT of plants, I don't need one of those expensive CO2 systems. Just something that produces enough CO2 to help my plants and lower my pH a little.

It can't hurt anything. I used a DIY for a little while. I just ran in through a sandstone airstone. I put the airstone under a small powerhead to help diffuse and circulate the Co2. It didn't lower my ph any though. I did kill a fish with my DIY setup though. I didn't install a third bottle to protect against getting the yeast solution from getting in my tank. When a bottle got knocked over on accident a bunch of nasty stuff got in my tank and killed one of my fish and made my water all murky. If you get ready to make one let me know and I'll post some pictures and a diagram. Good circulation, good light, and the right amount of fertilizers are the most important. Plants can grow well without the addition of co2, in my experience. What kind of lights are you using and how big is your tank?

Here's a 29 gallon with a diy co2 system, 96 watts of light, and good fertilizer.
aquarium.jpg

It can't hurt anything. I used a DIY for a little while. I just ran in through a sandstone airstone. I put the airstone under a small powerhead to help diffuse and circulate the Co2. I did kill a fish with my DIY setup though. I didn't install a third bottle to protect against getting the yeast solution from getting in my tank. When a bottle got knocked over on accident a bunch of nasty stuff got in my tank and killed one of my fish and made my water all murky. If you get ready to make one let me know and I'll post some pictures and a diagram. Good circulation, good light, and the right amount of fertilizers are the most important. Plants can grow well without the addition of co2, in my experience. What kind of lights are you using and how big is your tank?

Here's a 29 gallon with a diy co2 system, 96 watts of light, and good fertilizer.
aquarium.jpg

Thanks! I have a 10 gal tank, 30 watt lighting but I don't turn it on because it makes the water temperature go up a fair amount. And when the temperature gets too high, my fish start eating each other... So I have a separate lamp I next to the tank I use. It's not at all as bright as the 30 watt... But it's enough so that my moneywort doesn't brown on the bottom.

I am planning on making a DIY co2 system, ordered the parts. I just have one question- if I cant control how much co2 gets in my tank, is there a chance for my fish to suffocate in co2? I have an air pump so will that be ok?

Thanks for the help! :)

I found this guide to making a DIY co2 system: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/diy-aquarium-projects/14453-diy-co2-guide-pictures-recipes.html
It includes a part to prevent yeast stuff to enter the tank :good: this should be fun!

That system will work just fine. I don't think there is any way to suffocate the fish with a diy. I think that's mostly just a problem when heavily planted tanks are using pressurized co2. At night aquatic plants breath oxygen, so if the co2 is running and the plants are using all the oxygen, there is a greater chance for suffocation at night. The diy wont make enough co2 to hurt anything at night, and you don't have many plants so they wont use as much oxygen. I would get rid of the airpump though. The fine co2 bubbles your diffuser will make will bond to the big bubbles made by the airpump. Then, the co2 will just go to the surface without every making it to the leaves of your plants. I don't use an airpump. I just make sure that my filter disturbs the water enough to ripple the surface of the water. This puts plenty of oxygen in for my fish. If your real worried about it put the airpump on a timer and just have it kick on when your lights shut off. From what I understand, the biggest risk of suffocation comes when the lights are off.
I hope this helped! Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with. Sorry about the duplicate posts, my connection was acting up when I posted.

Thanks, you've helped a lot :) I'll let you know if I have any more questions when the diffuser arrives.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back