Aphyosemion Gardneri Golden - Saw These Today And Thought...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

RCA

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have a Juwel Vision 180 and I have been thinking what to put in it and was thinking maybe Killifish?
I went to my LFS today and they have a new batch in, plus they also have two left of the Aphyosemion Gardneri Golden, which looked an interesting fish.  They both looked plain orange with one significantly smaller than the other.  It was difficult to know their sexes.

Can you tell me is this a good starter fish?
What other Killifish should I look out for?
How many could I get in the Juwel (it has two external Ehiem Pro filters)?
Can Killifish live with Female Bettas?

Thanks in advance for any answers/tips...still researching...

We don't seem to have many Killifish enthusiasts on here to do we.... How is the research going RCA? I haven't ever kept Killis but have thought about having them for a fair while. My daughter wants a tank for her room so I have also considered getting them for her when its up and running.

Nope
no.gif
  Killifish enthusiasts it appears.

Research so far is that I was thinking of buying Killifish eggs instead of the fish, there are loads of options on e-bay, if I still go down the Killifish route.  Now that would be cool for your daughter ;)

Yeah, I was actually thinking that. She is fascinated by my Kribensis pair and is forever watching them prepare to breed. Unfortunately I have a full community tank so they don't seem to quite manage it!

There do seem to be a fair few people selling Killi eggs on ebay and I've never actually seen them in any of my LFS either so it would have to be that route.

I think she'd quite like the thought of getting the eggs, watching them hatch and taking care of them!

I've just ordered my first eggs!! I've spent a few days reading but there is so much and so many differing opinions it blows your mind! :O

fish.gif

This was a great article..... Maybe a little out dated but still sound advice.

http://tgenade.freeshell.org/myfish/egi.htm

Hope this helps.  I'll post the rest of the resources I have if you like?

fish.gif

Boyden said:
I'll post the rest of the resources I have if you like?

:fish:
Yes please! I look forward to hearing and seeing photos of your progress too! Start a journal on it!

Lunar Jetman said:
I'll post the rest of the resources I have if you like?

fish.gif
Yes please! I look forward to hearing and seeing photos of your progress too! Start a journal on it!
Blimey, a journal?  I'd keep notes because it's a new thing :)  Hopefully I get some progress but in reality I'm petrified I've bitten of more than I can chew :p

These are some of the online resources I use at the minute:

http://www.mkka.net/articles/KillifishManual.pdf  (Really really useful!!  A good read)
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/killi/gardneri.php (A brief to the point article on breeding the specific species I've ordered the eggs for)
http://www.killi.co.uk/ (an amazing site dedicated to all things Killifish!!  You can get care articles on every species!)

I hope this helps :)

fish.gif

Thanks. When I said Journal I was interested to see photos and details of how you went on with this. I guess there is a the worry it will fail but if you post the stages up we call all watch with you and someone might even be able to offer advice as you go along!

We're all here to learn so it will be really interesting to see how it goes. 

What's the worst that could happen? The eggs don't hatch because you do something wrong or they're bad. We'll all learn together! Once they're hatched that's half the battle over. :)

Lunar Jetman said:
Yeah, I was actually thinking that. She is fascinated by my Kribensis pair and is forever watching them prepare to breed. Unfortunately I have a full community tank so they don't seem to quite manage it!

There do seem to be a fair few people selling Killi eggs on ebay and I've never actually seen them in any of my LFS either so it would have to be that route.

I think she'd quite like the thought of getting the eggs, watching them hatch and taking care of them!

I agree I think it would be awesome for a child to be involved in creating life.  How old is she?

Boyden said:
Blimey, a journal?  I'd keep notes because it's a new thing
smile.png
 Hopefully I get some progress but in reality I'm petrified I've bitten of more than I can chew
tongue2.gif

Welcome Boyden and thanks for the info., will take a look at it all in due course.  I ditto what Lunar Jetman is saying, please start a journal on here for all of us to see, learn and help you along the way.  I have one on my new project, the Juwel Vision and also did one for a Retirement Home for my old Betta - look in my signature for the links.  There are other journals on here too, so it will give you an idea what LJ meant.

Look forward to sharing your journey ;)

RCA said:
I agree I think it would be awesome for a child to be involved in creating life.  How old is she?
She's 6 at the moment and going to be 7 just under 4 months so the tank will be likely part of a birthday present. We moved into our new home around this time last year so have plans to decorate her room this summer so a tank will be part of that.

We're currently in the planning stage so I'm trying to find the best location for the tank away from direct sunlight!
smile.png

Lunar Jetman said:
She's 6 at the moment and going to be 7 just under 4 months so the tank will be likely part of a birthday present. We moved into our new home around this time last year so have plans to decorate her room this summer so a tank will be part of that.

We're currently in the planning stage so I'm trying to find the best location for the tank away from direct sunlight!
smile.png

Cool, how exciting, will she like go to school come home and find it all done, a bit like 60 minute makeover?  What tank you thinking for her room?

Boyden said:
Well as things come together I'll start a journal then
smile.png

Great, look forward to it, with lots of
kewlpics.gif

Most reactions

trending

Back