Anything More I Can Do?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mezrie

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I just wondered if any of you have had experience with old fish. I have a moonlight gourami who must be about five now and for the last two weeks he's been pretty up and down. I've found him on the bottom of the tank quite regularly unable to swim, I noticed he had a torn fin so i treated witth melafix and it seems to be healing well. He is a little raggedy but he is rather old. At times he can happliy swim about like his usual self but then it's like he gets too tired so gives up and just lays on the bottom of the tank. In these moments i've put him in a net so he can rest and be nearer to the surface of the water too.

If anyone can offer any advice i would be really grateful. He's a lovely fish and the last remaining fish from my first lot of fish ever and ever since then i've really been in to this hobby. I suppose we have history and if there's anything i can do to make him more comfortable i want to do it.

Thanks again

Mez x

Bless him done well to have him that long.
Sounds like swim bladder problems if he finding it hard to stay a float and maintain his balance.
Try the peas trick.
Cook some peas for a few minutes, let cool down and pop out of shell. mush into small pieces and add to the tank.
Or sadly it could just mean he times up i'm afraid.

Well he's still fighting bless him, he seems to be able to be more mobile when he has eaten and i've held him upright for a few minutes. The past week or so this is what i've been doing so he can feed as he finds it so hard to keep upright on his own. I've tried feeding him peas, and shall try again today but it's very hard for him to catch any of it before it all sinks. At the moment i am keeping him in a large net so he can reach the surface a bit easier if needed, if i leave him in the tank after a while he sinks to the bottom. He was swimming about for aout ten mins before he flaked out last night. If he seems well enough i let him swim around the tank for a bit but then when he tires himself out i put him in the net again. God doesn't seem to want to take him just yet and i don't want to try and euthanise him as last time i did with a past fish it was a nightmare that i don't wish to repeat.

I do hate it when my fish get poorly sick. :( x

Bless him done well to have him that long.
Sounds like swim bladder problems if he finding it hard to stay a float and maintain his balance.
Try the peas trick.
Cook some peas for a few minutes, let cool down and pop out of shell. mush into small pieces and add to the tank.
Or sadly it could just mean he times up i'm afraid.

Have you tryed a bacterial med.

Sometimes it can be an infecton of the swim bladder.
Anti internal bacteria med by interpet.

Well he's still alive but not well at all. He eats if i hold him up to the surface to eat but i'm wondering whether i'm just prolonging his misery. I'm treating the tank with a bacterial med but no improvement. One of his gills is now inflamed and his body is curled round. I may need to be on the look out for some clove oil but i'm so utterly useless at this ending life thing. I wish i could take him to the vets so i know the deed could be done properly and as stress free as possible. Do you get fish vets?

x

Sometimes it can be an infecton of the swim bladder.
Anti internal bacteria med by interpet.

Inflamed swollen gills can be bad water quality, gill flukes to bacterial gill rot.
Get a jug of very cold water and add ice cubes till the water freezing cold.
Add the fish it should take about 30 seconds for it to die, but leave the fish in the water a while to
make sure its passed on.
Make sure the gills are not moving.
I would end his misery if you think he's suffering.

he passed away last night :( We've buried him under the apple tree.

thanks for your advice.

x

Bless him R.I.P.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back