Anything else I can try?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tee Schneidef

Reaction score
We’ve had a Betta for 6months. He was doing super well until he developed a blockage (we think due to over feeding) We Immediately fasted him and moved him to daphnia only, have tried epsom baths, betta fix, frequent water changes, blanched pea (he spits it out) For awhile the lump was improving gradually but because of stocking issues due to corona we couldn’t get any live food for a few days so he got bloodworms for a day. He’s now worse than ever. For the first time he’s lethargic, sits at top or bottom of tank a lot a fins a starting to clump. Posting pics in the hopes that someone has a suggestion. I just feel so bad for the little guy. One of the pics is his good side so you can see how severe the lump is. Any thoughts at all? I swear it looks like he swallowed rocks and the shape of the lump moves and changed.

Attachments

• 5105E9E2-BCE3-488E-902E-7EDC5AAFBD6B.jpeg
    5105E9E2-BCE3-488E-902E-7EDC5AAFBD6B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
  • 5D2D9EC8-7C3A-4F20-A5D6-E1EBA4048B9E.jpeg
    5D2D9EC8-7C3A-4F20-A5D6-E1EBA4048B9E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 89
  • FD0B73AA-7F8E-443D-B7F8-1FB17C50B084.jpeg
    FD0B73AA-7F8E-443D-B7F8-1FB17C50B084.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 91
  • 07846631-720A-4479-801F-3065944009CD.jpeg
    07846631-720A-4479-801F-3065944009CD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 82
  • 2D46FF22-9B73-48AF-BB15-1FD33EFC25CE.jpeg
    2D46FF22-9B73-48AF-BB15-1FD33EFC25CE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 85
Don't use bettafix, its an oil that can hurt betta's labirynth organ and can suffocate the fish. Fish with labirynth organ are bettas and gouramies that have an organ called "labirynth" and lets them breath our atmospheric air.

Are his scales pineconing (sticking out)?
If not, I believe your better has developed a tumour.

Do you have a filter and a heater inside the tank?
What size is the tank?
What are the water parameters?

I agree, don't use melafix or betafix.

It looks like your betta has fin rot... How big is your tank? How long has it been setup?

Ok. No more beta fix. No pineconing. The tank has filter, airstone and heater, 4 gallons, water parameters tested regularly and all good. The fins just started clumping yesterday as the size of that lump almost doubled overnight. An online vet told me it was a blockage hence the epsom baths, pea attemp and daphnia diet. The lump changes shape and size daily (shrinks, grows). As I said, he lived healthily in the environment for 6 months- this came on overnight. Literally can watch it grow or shrink or change shapes.

I need the exact numbers to tell if your water quality is the culprit here or not.
Epsom salts are used to draw fluid out of fish's belly and do not cause constipation and as I said, it might be a tumour.

I need the exact numbers to tell if your water quality is the culprit here or not.
Epsom salts are used to draw fluid out of fish's belly and do not cause constipation and as I said, it might be a tumour.
Ok, just tested: GH 180, KH 120-180, PH 7, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0ish.

I am concerned about your pH... for a tropical fish tank, its is recommended to have at least 7.4. (I personally keep mien at 7.5-7.6)

PH depends on the fish, I wouldn't worry about it being 7, I think all of my tanks are lower than that. If its only on one side I would suspect a tumour, how long has he had it?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you do?

0 nitrates is usually an indicator that your tank is uncycled and was/is uncycled for 6 months now. What are your ammonia levels?

Looks to me like OP is using test strips. ;)
If source water nitrate is low, and stocking is low, it's not inconceivable that the plants use up all the nitrate in the water.

PH depends on the fish, I wouldn't worry about it being 7, I think all of my tanks are lower than that. If its only on one side I would suspect a tumour, how long has he had it?

I agree. Looks like a tumour to me, too. Maybe a cyst, if it changes size and shape?

Where did you get that information?
It may be wise to ignore any other information from that source.
I agree. It really depends on the fish and if that info is taken for all fish there would be some problems

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back