Anyone with tadpole knowledge

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lamie

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have been keeping 3 tadpoles in a fish tank and they have mysteriously died. I found a rock at the park and put it in and then they all died. They were just about to turn into frogs. I am now setting up the tank for 4 new ones. Is there anyone with knowledge on how to look after these tadpoles. I will be putting tap water in the tank and leaving it for days to get ready for the tadpoles. I have a small filter that will go in. I won't add any substrate. Should I use some fish water added to the water for the tadpole water?

Rocks from public parks can be contaminated with herbicide when councils spray to kill weeds around trees, along the edge of paths and around other things on parks.

Tadpoles can be kept the same way as fish. Aquarium with sand or gravel in the bottom. Add some plants. Have a filter. Do regular water changes.

If you have a test kit, you should monitor the water for ammonia and nitrite and make sure the levels remain on 0ppm.

If you use tap water, you need to make sure it is free of chlorine or chloramine, whichever your town uses.

I've added some water that's been sitting around in the frog tank for 2 weeks and the filter from the tank in which the tadpoles died. I've checked the pH and ammonia and it seems ok. I'll just wait now for the tadpoles next week. It's cloudy/"dirty" water but I'm hoping the tadpoles will like it

Thanks Colin. Will the filter need to be cleaned as it was in the tank and if the rock had pesticide t could it hold any of the residue. If so can I clean this in tap water. I have four days until I get the tadpoles

Clean anything that was in the old tank but use dechlorinated water for the filter media/ materials so you don't kill any good bacteria living in it.
The filter case can be washed under tap water.

Don't put that rock in the new tank. If it had something bad on it, then it might still have stuff on it.

I have raised tadpoles many times, @Colin_T point that you have to establish the tank very much like a fish tank is correct. The one area of difficulty is what do the tadpoles eat. In many cases I have had success feeding them fish food, but for others they are particular about eating algae, and some are carnivores.

In my experience tadpoles don't handle ammonia or nitrites well but often don't mind cloudy or discolored water.

When the tadpoles are nearly frogs they require a zone where they can easily climb out of the water, this is especially important for the toad species that do not use their skin to supplement their respiration. A bank of sand works good for this. After they become frogs they are even more difficult to keep, I haven't every kept them more than a day after they have hatched.

It should be noted that in most jurisdictions keeping tadpoles is illegal, they are wildlife, and you should never release them except where you caught them, and in most areas release of frogs is also illegal. There are good reasons for this, in the area I live in some years ago someone brought in American Bull Frogs, they got released and now the bull frogs are spreading and out competing our native frog species. Additionally the bull frogs have destroyed the vegetation on the isolated islands on some of the local lakes. The final reason not to raise tadpoles is that there are some fungal and other diseases amphibians can get and by releasing the frogs you can spread diseases as well.

There is no mention of cycling. Is this necessary with tadpoles?

Tadpoles and frogs are more sensitive to chemicals than fish so they need clean water. This is normally accomplished with an established biological filter, but can also be achieved with big daily water changes.

If the filter was in a tank with fish or tadpoles for a month or more before they died, it will probably be cycled. If not, then keep feeding down to a minimum (once every couple of days) and do a big water change and gravel clean any day the ammonia or nitrite reading is above 0ppm, or the nitrate is above 10ppm.

Ok I think I understand. I was worried the filter might have residue of a herbicide and that I put the filter in a 20l tank of tap water (with chlorine) but took it out after I read your text. I want to leave the water for the chlorine to wear off for 24hours but leave the filter out untill the chlorine has gone. Will all that be ok? (Maybe the prime water conditioner has killed the tadpoles that's why I don't want to use it)

If the filter media/ material is put in a container of tap water with chlorine, then the good bacteria might have been killed. Likewise if you let the media dry out, the bacteria die.

the filter might have residue from the rock, assuming that is what killed the original tadpoles. This is why everything needs a good wash before using it in another tank.

Prime shouldn't kill tadpoles. If you have chlorine in the tap water, fill up some clean plastic containers with tap water and aerate them for 24 hours. that should remove any chlorine in the water.

if i randomly get tadpoles in my lily pond (the plants are still small)
do i have to care for them or will they eat the little bugs and stuff

if i randomly get tadpoles in my lily pond (the plants are still small)
do i have to care for them or will they eat the little bugs and stuff
Most tadpoles will survive quite happily in a pond without any interference from you. However, if the pond dries up, they either die or metamorphose early. If the pond is kept full, then you can add a bit of fish food every now and then or just let nature take its course.

Feeding the tadpoles regularly will mean more survive and you get more frogs, but you need to do more water changes to compensate for the extra food. :)

alright, will they eat fish that will be in there in the future ( iam planning on some barbs)

Most tadpoles will survive quite happily in a pond without any interference from you. However, if the pond dries up, they either die or metamorphose early. If the pond is kept full, then you can add a bit of fish food every now and then or just let nature take its course.

Feeding the tadpoles regularly will mean more survive and you get more frogs, but you need to do more water changes to compensate for the extra food. :)

tadpoles don't eat fish but big fish do eat tadpoles.
tadpoles will eat fish eggs if they find them

If the filter media/ material is put in a container of tap water with chlorine, then the good bacteria might have been killed. Likewise if you let the media dry out, the bacteria die.

the filter might have residue from the rock, assuming that is what killed the original tadpoles. This is why everything needs a good wash before using it in another tank.

Prime shouldn't kill tadpoles. If you have chlorine in the tap water, fill up some clean plastic containers with tap water and aerate them for 24 hours. that should remove any chlorine in the water.
Thanks. What should I clean the media from the filter in?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back