Anyone With Experience With Snakes Please Help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

guppy2002

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i found a baby snake that had been stepped on in the middle of the path. i took him home and and gave him a nice little cage with water a hiding spot ect. but the little snake is all bent up and can barely move. well, he can move, just not very well. how do i get him to eat? will he ever unbend? can i help him at all?????

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

Not in a cage, snakes are escape artist mine have got out a purpose built viv many times. Any pics of the snake will help,
Also snakes can be fussy eaters even when in top condition ( some breeds are worse than others) and they don't eat daily if it has recently eaten it may not eat for at least a week . Also they are cold blooded and require about 30c depending again on breed, for this you need a heat source like a thermostat and a heat lamp or heat mats are cheaper but must be under the substrate (woodchip ect) otherwise it will burn the snake. Give it a little shallow bowl of water ( you probably will not see it drink but it will) they don't move much in the day time any way and if he's cold he will move even less. these factors plus it being injured.

Everything baker360360 said is correct. You will probably leave the room and come back and the snake has gone. They can flatten themselves to escape so much that they can even fit under doors, so will defo get out a cage. The snake could die without a heat mat. Go to a supermarket and buy one of those 10-12L vivs that people also keep fish in. Snakes can live in very small vivs for a while so it will be fine. As for the damages to the snake I don't know, but good luck and be careful not to burn him on the heat mat if you get one. Also, Don't worry too much about feeding him, just focus on him getting better.

its like 100 degrees here (im serious) my window is open and there is no AC in my room. do i really need a heat mat?
also, he CANT squeeze into small spaces because he is BENT, and wont unbend. pictures are in the process

001.jpg
[/url] application screenshot
002.jpg
[/url] imagur
003.jpg
[/url] image post
004.jpg
[/url] photo hosting sites
008.jpg
[/url] free image hosting

Where are you that it's so hot because its bloody freezing here in London,

It looks like a grass snake but dosnt have the right patten around head,

Does it have a dark heart shape on top of its head? And maybe a dark stripe each side of its head?

Trying to work out if its native, there are only 3 wild snakes here
Oh the other snake found here is the adder which is venomous, but you don't have that,

baker360360 said:
Does it have a dark heart shape on top of its head? And maybe a dark stripe each side of its head?
Trying to work out if its native, there are only 3 wild snakes hereOh the other snake found here is the adder which is venomous, but you don't have that,
It says they're in the United States so they probably have different snakes to over here in the UK. Also, I'm not in London but I agree, it's freezing!

Liv15 said:
Trying to work out if its native, there are only 3 wild snakes hereOh the other snake found here is the adder which is venomous, but you don't have that,
It says they're in the United States so they probably have different snakes to over here in the UK. Also, I'm not in London but I agree, it's freezing!
Of corse it does , my bad

Would still recommend getting a heat mat eventually if planning to keep it (and it lives) just to maintain the correct temp, that bend looks bad, it may not heal it self, may need a vet or sadly end it's misery as its probably very painful

i wasnt planning to keep it. i just wanted to help it get better. its a garter snake, i know that for sure. also, ive read that baby garters need food twice a week. and i do NOT want to be responsible for the little guys death
no.gif

my mom doesnt want a snake in the house....so yeah
noexpression.gif

Is the bend higher than its Anal area. if not it may drop of and re grow, if its higher it could have damaged organs

Personally I would be dropping it off with a vet or a rescue shelter that deals with reptiles. That poor thing is really quite severely damaged and to be quite honest, is unlikely to survive long in the wild. With bends and breaks like that, it wont be able to avoid predators and it likely wont be able to eat much or rather, digest stuff properly as the food wont go down very well.

*IF* it is to survive, it will need some real vet treatment and intensive care and probably a long term captive home. I would home it sooner rather than later...

Is the bend higher than its Anal area. if not it may drop of and re grow, if its higher it could have damaged organs

Snakes don't regrow their tails... only some species of lizards do like Leopard and Fat Tailed Geckos. But the internal damage is highly likely, I can count at least ten points of damage/kinks on the poor thing...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back