Anyone with Current Interest in Sunfishes Lepomis spp.?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

centrarchid

Reaction score
This is a group that I have messed with a lot. Bluegill in particular have occupied my tanks, but done some others too. I have a single female Hand-paint Bluegill. She looks a lot different from the standard Northern Bluegill and the various types of Coppernose Bluegill in the SE USA.

You should write up a fact sheet about them and post it here. Show pictures of the different varieties and how to sex them, along with feeding and breeding habits.

Will try to post link to couple of articles. Maybe later create fact sheets that align with those for other species here.

Bantam Sunfish

Warmouth (co-written with student)

Could generate similar with Red Spotted Sunfish and Orange Spotted Sunfish in short order. Trying to keep articles in similar format to enable better comparison between species. Will be breeding Pirate Perch this spring using fish reared from spawn last spring as parentals. Trying to rear those in mass using same resources to be used later for Red-tailed Sharks. Will be dragging students along for these efforts as they want to do more than bass, crappie, and bluegill in ponds.

I have a student doing some behavioral work with juvenile Northern Bluegill that may result in some videos of interest to some. Bluegills are more interesting than many think.

i have 2 Blue Spotted Sunfish. they are shy but beautiful to see❤️

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back