Anyone Use(D) Juwel Rekord Tanks For Marine Set-Ups?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

trout_pout

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Bonjourno all! It has been a while since I last posted here. Everything looks all cool and Hi-Tech now!

Anyway. I've always wanted a marine tank. I was tempted to start off with a marine tank but was told by various different people that I'd be better off going with a tropical set-up. It wasn't really what I wanted. But I'm glad that I did.

After several years of what I would call "successful" fishkeeping. I'm now wanting to once again get a marine tank.

I don't really want to get another tank and run two at the same time. So I'll just be adapting my tropical set-up into a marine one.

My dad has for some strange reason thrown the manual away for my tank. I'm 90% sure it's a Rekord 800.

Here are the stats for it; Juwel Rekord 800

Cost isn't really that much of an issue. The only things keeping me from doing the upgrade is my severum - which I've had for about 5 years now and the fact that I'm not 100% sure what the best way to go about changing the tank over to marine is.

I'm really doing quite a bit of research at the moment, I've already read all the pinned stuff here.

I was just wondering if anyone has made their Juwel tank into a Marine set-up? What's the best way to go about doing it?

Some Noob Questions

Also, what equipment do I NEED for the conversion and what Juwel equipment can I keep/get rid of from my tank?

Any recommendations for Protein Skimmers etc. What sort of requirements would I need from a Skimmer for a tank of this size?

How much Live Rock would I need for filtration?

I know I sound very NOOBish to this. Despite the fact that I don't mind spending quite a bit to get this, I really don't want to be one of those guys that is just throwing money down the drain because I didn't do enough research on this. If I convert to a Marine set-up I'm going to want to do it properly.

Replies will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

TP

Welcome :good:

First question would be what would you like to keep in the tank, this will have a lot of bearing on what equipment you need to buy/upgrade.

Well, I know that I'm fairly limited as to what fish I can keep in the tank as it's about 35 gallons.

But I'm wanting to just have some live rock and a few small fish like Damsels and possibly Clown Fish - As I know that Marine fish are a lot more expensive, I'll obviously be very cautious with how many I put in. I'd also like some cleaner shrimp as well.

I was speaking to a guy in Pets at Home and he told me that I'd only have to upgrade lighting if I buy coral - otherwise I'll be alright with the lights I've already got. But I'd kinda like that verified - it's not that I don't trust the people that work there... ;)

Get your live rock from a fellow reefer, check out aquarists classified, ebay, and other forums, you'll get it a lot cheaper.

:hi: to the salty side of the forum :good:

Your lfs is correct, you will only need to upgrade your t8 lighting if you intend keeping anything other than a few mushrooms etc.

34 gallons is a nice size tank for you to learn the basics, it will be great fun, just one thing to check, youhave never dosed copper in the tank have you?

Also, another word of caution, steer away from the damsels, except of the course your pair of clowns - damsels in a smaller tank can be a nightmare :blink:

Are you going to run a skimmer?

Seffie x

ps and seconded, buy rock from a an old salty breaking down their tank - approx £5 a kilo

pps where in the uk are you?

I used a Juwel rekord 600 for my 1st marine tank. Slightly smaller but pretty muxh the same tank. Here is my journal:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/342760-my-first-adventure-in-the-salty-side/

Sorry, it might not be very informative and the tank wasnt setup for long.

HTH

Get your live rock from a fellow reefer, check out aquarists classified, ebay, and other forums, you'll get it a lot cheaper.

Ok, I cant stand it anymore...........:p come on, come on, StandbySetting, show yourself and your tank :good:

Seffie x

ps, doh, you are obviously an old salt gone over to the planted side :dunno: you coming back?

ps, doh, you are obviously an old salt gone over to the planted side :dunno: you coming back?
Hi Seffie, yes I plan to eventually, once I've finished college and I have my own house and a fairly good budget I'll be keeping marine again, I want to do a marine biotope instead of a community set up this time however.

Yup, I shall be running a skimmer. Thinking about getting this one Dymax XP-30 Mini Skimmer

I'm from Cardiff. No sheep jokes! :grr:

I've not heard of that one and to be honest you get what you pay for re: skimmers - maybe look for a better brand but second hand, I would be looking for an mce 300

Ah sheep jokes, let the fun begin guys (keep it clean :p)!

Seffie x

my marine tank is a rio 300. i bought it new as i have kept my trop tank running

My first question would be. Has the tank that you want to use, ever been treated with meds?

Most reactions

trending

Back