Anyone Tried Gaim?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ami

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm considering trying Gaim becuase I'm sick of needing to use MSN Messenger, mIRC, Yahoo Messenger and Googletalk - mostly at the same time - to talk with my friends cos they're all too selfish to use the same client!!

Was wondering if anyone had experience of Gaim and what they thought.

Can be found here for those that are interested:

Gaim Website

Never tried it, but I use Trillian that does the same thing.

Trillian also has loads of plug ins for such as RSS newsfeeds, Gmail checker, POP3 mailbox checker, birthday reminders, mp3 players, weather checkers etc

You can also have more than 1 profile, so I can use my personal accounts for MSN and AIM and also my work MSN account at the same time Though I think thats just for the Pro (paid for) version.

Arfie

I use gaim and love it. I am usually logged into AIM and MSN on it, and have yet to have a problem. There is also zero adware in it, which i know beats AIM. One thing I like is instead of having 50 chat windows open, you have the choice to have one window open, and have different tabs for each person. The one down side is transfering files can be a pain in the butt on it (if you need help, let me know and I can show you)

Id go for Trillian. Its got a better interface and is easier to use. I use Gaim when Im in Linux but only because its pre-installed on my favorite distributions. It does the job but Trillian has prettier colours :p

So, Trillian is prettier but Gaim has helpful tabs so you only need one window open?

I like the idea of the extra plug ins with Trillian too - do you get them on Gaim Nicole?

So, Trillian is prettier but Gaim has helpful tabs so you only need one window open?
Trillian has tabbed messenger windows, I regularly get confused when chatting to more than 2 people at once, especially if I turn my AOL screen name on too.

Arfie

Okay, downloaded Trillian last night and has a little fiddle with it. Used MSN and mIRC and am not sure I like losing some of my functionality.

Plus, I did kinda like actually being able to see what pic was showing on MSN so when people made smart comments I knew what they were talking about!

I'll have more of a play with it tonight, but so far it's not as pretty as I would like and the smillies are not as entertaining. Where's the raised eyebrow smillie?! For someone as sarcastic as I am that's a necessity.

And what's with the wikipedia links?!
:crazy:

ok, just played around with it a little more. Gaim does do IRC, but doesn't do font colors and is missing alot of the more advanced functions that mIRC has. It does work pretty well. Now i only have to have to have one program running.

I use linux, and i use gaim all the time :thumbs: It Roxors...but the only problem is that it doesn't have webcam support and voicechat. But I can always use Gyach and Skype :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back