Anyone Know This Bug?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Socks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Been seeing these guys for years,but not very often.They fly just like humming birds,and other than the antennae they look just like them from a bit off.Cool little guys whoever they are.Anyone know what they are called?

DSC_0697.jpg

DSC_0702.jpg

DSC_0709.jpg

DSC_0714.jpg

Not sure on that exact species, with you being in Arizona, but I've seen similar species of moth in France, Italy and Central America (never here though :().

All Bee Hawk Moths of the genus Hemaris.

Cool,I live in Maine,not Arizona.I wonder if they do imitate hummingbirds?This one is colored and patterned so much like the most common hummingbirds around here it's hard to imagine it being a coincidence.

Thanks for the reply and a place to start. I'll go check out the web. :)

Odd....no idea why I thought Arizona...I thought I read it from the location in your post...but obviously not o_O.

I'm from NC and have seen them around here in the past although not recently. They look kind of like a bee in one sense and can hover like a humming bird. They are very pretty but have no clue what they are.

Hummingbird Hawk Moth, Seen these at a friends house in atherstone. Never knew we had them here till I saw them flitting around the flowers.

Glad to finally know what they are after all these years.

Most reactions

trending

Back