Anyone know about frogs and crabs?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

silver

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I have a 55 freshwater aquarium with the following inhabitants, well just glance at my sig. real quick, and I was thinking about getting some little hoppers (aka frogs) or some crabby guys or something cute like that. I haven't gotten any new fish in almost a year and I would like to add something a little different. But I don't know what KIND of frog(s) would be right if any and the same goes for crabs. My water specs are almost always near perfect and the fish I have now get along wonderfully so I would need good community dwellers. I have a nice filter, the Fluval 304 and I have quite a bit of H2O that goes into my water. I have about 6 artificial plants and a couple decor, to keep it simple.

Can somebody help me??

Thanks in advance,

Silver
:S

I haven't really had any lucks with frogs but I have a mini-crab named Snaps who has provided me with a lot of humor and it does a super job of cleaning the bottom of the tank. :flex:

Snaps is currently in my 55 gallon and roams around trying to find food. I wouldn't put him with any sick fish because it will try to snap at them. I have cories with it so I think you are ok there.

Make sure you have some hiding spots for him/her because they like to spend a few days in the dark when they shed. Also, make sure your filter intake is at least 4" off the ground and nothing is 4" or closer to the top of the tank or they will try to escape, mine sometimes climbs up the filter intake and sits up there like he is on top of the world.

All in all they are really easy to take care of and will keep your tank pretty clean of uneaten food but won't starve your cories.

Here is a pic of snaps climbing anacharis
post-22-1076636431.jpg

Is that the name of the crab: mini-crab. Or was that just what you were calling it ;)

Thanks a bunch,

I will wait a little while and see what else people have to say, if anything, before I run out and buy one. You never know when you post a New Topic if you will get very many responses :/

Silver
:*

Hi silver :)

I have both African Clawed Frogs and African Dwarf Frogs, which are both aquatic frogs. :nod:

Both are fun, but I wouldn't recommend either for your tank. :no:

The ADFs are too small and delicate for the size of your tank and its inhabitants. They have tiny hands and arms that would attract the attention of your fish with devastating results. The ACFs are too large and before they are fully grown, would have your pandas for a snack. :eek:

Click on the link in my signature for more information about them.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That information was SOOOOOOOOOO helpfull!!!!

I do have a question for ya, kind of a dumb one, but do you have to let the tank "cycle" like you do a regular fish tank and do you do if for as long if you do??

Silver

in my small tank iv got two adf's and in my larger tank iv got a red clawed crab

on both make sure u have no holes in the lids...

i loove mine :wub:

silver said:
...I do have a question for ya, kind of a dumb one, but do you have to let the tank "cycle" like you do a regular fish tank and do you do if for as long if you do??
Hi silver :)

You can do it either way. :nod: Treat them the same as you would if they were fish.

Many people like to keep the tiny ADFs with bettas, in uncycled small tanks and bowls that are frequently cleaned.

For the larger ACFs, it's more practical to keep them in a cycled tank. I kept mine with goldfish and weather loaches for quite some time. In this case they were all of a similar size. Eventually, the goldfish got big enough to hog the food, so I separated them.

Filtration is not needed and it's often considered better keep them without it. I have read that the vibrations of a filter is detrimental to them. I've also heard too many stories about the ADFs getting pulled into them.

Both kinds of frogs are jumpers and must have covered tanks or bowls.

If I kept a ADF with my goldfish in his tank I would think that the goldfish would pick on the frog. Goldfish can be sooo mean sometimes.

Do you think that the frogs would eat White Cloud tetras??

Silver

The ACF's would get the white clouds (actualy a minnow not a tetra, no harm) in there sleep. and ADF's would make a tastey snack for goldfish why not buy like a 5 gallon at wal mart for like 7 bucks and keep two or three ADF's they may even breed for you.

Opcn

My friend had white clouds in with her ADF, and overnight the fish attacked the frog. Mind you, ADF's are A LOT smaller than ACF's.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back