Anyone Have This Stuff?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I have a biowheel 350. Got it for 10 bucks used from a store going out of business. Sometimes it has motor trouble and the media is kindof tricky. If it gets too....shall we say....saturated?....then the cartridges lean on my bios eels and stop them from spinning. Even so, this filter has always kept my tank (40g) quite clean and chemically sound. I don't think it's fantastic, but it certainly does the trick quite well if you make sure you keep it running.

Well I've got some mesh (I broke a net a few months ago) and I could use this to tie up the media or tie it back I found it brand new for $28 online. The 200 was $25 and the 100 was $20.
What do you mean by saturated?

I think he means...covered by muck! lol Like old fish food, poop, plant particles, and gook from the water. The other day, one of the two wheels had stopped spinning and I had to move the media and stuff around on that side...it gets heavy and leans on the wheel a little. That's the problem with the way the media sits standing up. {I'm not overfeeding, but I had planted new plants a lot this week} Don't get me wrong...this filter is really working great...but you have to maintain it more then the other types.

If you find a bargain and understand how to take care of your fish, then you'll be fine. The canister filters are nice because they need maintenance less often. My biowheel filter is actually very quiet.

I still think I will go a different route later...but I have heard people say their Marineland Biowheels last them YEARSSSSS.. :) So looks like I'll have it awhile. I wouldn't replace it because it does the job.

Ok I'll continue to look around but still looking for suggestions and my original questions. :good:

I'm looking for opinions about these items if you own them
1. Marineland hot magnum 250 gph canister filter
2. Aqueon 150 watt pro heater
3. Marineland bio-wheel filters

These I just want approval on
4. Putting a 200 gph filter on a 10 gallon tank
5. Putting a 100 watt heater in a 10 gallon tank

6. Is there any good filters around the 10-60 dollar area. I'm looking around the bio-wheels, externals, and canisters. (are canisters and externals the same?)

Also if I got the marineland penguin 350 gph could I get this stocking:

2 bolivian rams
4 mollies
2 platys
5 platy fry (may be rehomed in the future but staying for now)
6 cherry barbs and/or 10 harlequins
8-10 corys
2 bn or 3 otos (I wanted to attempt to breed the bns)

instead of
2 bolivian rams
4 mollies
2 platys
4 cherry barbs or 6-8 harlequins (lowered because of the fry, also could I do 2 cherrys and 6 harlequins?)
6 corys
2 bn or 3 otos (I wanted to attempt to breed these guys)

because of the higher filtering (almost duble)

After some of the review on the penguin 350 some say it's noisy but most say it's great so if you've got it what do you think of it? And above questions and is there any specific filter you use/love that would be a good fit :good:

I'm looking for opinions about these items if you own them
1. Marineland hot magnum 250 gph canister filter
2. Aqueon 150 watt pro heater
3. Marineland bio-wheel filters

These I just want approval on
4. Putting a 200 gph filter on a 10 gallon tank
5. Putting a 100 watt heater in a 10 gallon tank

6. Is there any good filters around the 10-60 dollar area. I'm looking around the bio-wheels, externals, and canisters. (are canisters and externals the same?)

Also if I got the marineland penguin 350 gph could I get this stocking:

2 bolivian rams
4 mollies
2 platys
6 cherry barbs and/or 10 harlequins
8-10 corys
2 bn or 3 otos (I wanted to attempt to breed the bns)

instead of
2 bolivian rams
4 mollies
2 platys
4 cherry barbs or 6-8 harlequins (lowered because of the fry, also could I do 2 cherrys and 6 harlequins?)
6 corys
2 bn or 3 otos (I wanted to attempt to breed these guys)

because of the higher filtering (almost duble)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back