Anyone Ever Seen A Freshwater Polychaete Worm?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Saedcantas

Fishaholic
Reaction score
:crazy: I feel a bit sick right now lol :sick:

Sadly, I've lost two panda corys in my second tank over the last week so when it came to todays maintainance I was extra thorough and had a big rescape. Not sure what happened to the corys, there is no visible disease on any of the fish, the water is pH 6.4 stable, amm 0, nitrItes 0 and nitrAtes 0 (it's a well planted tank) and there have been no new additions for at least 6 weeks and the tank has been running for a good three or so months.

Anyway, while I was there busy being puzzled at what happened, I sucked this beast out with my vac :blink: :sick:
ohmygod.jpg

I'm very sorry about the size of that pic, but it has to be seen in full for you to identify it properly :unsure:

Anyway, I'm not suggesting that this horrid thing is the culprit, it's much more than likely just a scavenger but I just wanted to know if anyone else has every experienced freshwater polychaetes before and what did you do?
Does anyone think a nice dose of Sterazin would be a good idea?

I didnt put this in the emergency bit because it's not really urgent ;)
Thanks everyone
Lotte***

(pssst, the piccie isnt working....."Oops, my image for thos link is no longer here")

edit: now its done, sorry, cant really help you

ergh, that thing is horrible! :sick:

I would die of shock if i found that in my tank.

Can I admit to having cut my maintainance a little short because I just couldnt bare having my hand in there anymore! :no:

I'm not scared of much but ants and wormy things really dont mix with me :lol: my housemate said it was "really cool" he suggested keeping it... I havent killed it or gotten rid of it yet because I dont know what to do with it really, I know I should kill it but I dont like to :rolleyes:

I like him. Is he definately bad for your tank?

That's pretty much what I'm trying to discover, most polychaetes are scavengers or opportunists rather than actual predators, I think to be honest I'd rather not take the chance as unlikely as it is, two of my bottom dwellers disappear completely and then this beast shows up?

and anyway, he could climb out in the middle of the night and crawl in my ear and turn me into a zombie or something, so it's not worth it is it! lol :rolleyes: :hyper:

It has 110 appendages. UGHH. That's 106 too many. I say the only logical solution is to tie it to an m80. That way it's quick and painless. :D But that really is freaky.

Eeww! :sick:
I hope I never get one of those... How do you think you got him? Did he come with plants or live food or something?

great i thought "ill look at this then hed to sleep".

dont think so now, think ill watch sum more family guy :)

It has 110 appendages. UGHH. That's 106 too many. I say the only logical solution is to tie it to an m80. That way it's quick and painless. :D But that really is freaky.

awwww, no fun and a waste of an m80 :lol: tie it to a bottle rocket instead and shoot it into your neighbors yard. might as well let the worm have some fun before it dies :good:

Sweet Jesus, I didn't even know such horrors existed in freshwater! I thought the worst thing I had to worry about was dragonfly larvae!! :crazy:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back