Anyone Ever Made A Pond Out Of A Large Paddling Pool?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Curiosity101

Is now at University! :D
Reaction score
I just saw an advert on tv for an 8ft family swimming pool for....£20.

That in itself is crazy, but then I thought hmm...wonder if anyone ever turned one into a pond?
And if not...why not?

I'm not proposing that I want to do this, or that I think people should. I'm just interested as to whether anyone has. And if they have what they keep in it.
It works out at around 2,400litres for £20.
Bargain in my book! Hehe.

How deep is it? It probably won't be deep enough to keep fish in during the winter.

I was thinking something similar, I have seen a 10' x 3' deep swimming pool for around £50

how uv resistent is the material as it will degrade and split in time
however they do use pools as holding tanks/show vats at shows they are not your £20 paddlin pool,they dont fill to pool to its full height and arent usually usd all year round,

the chances of it being punctured are huge..or everyone would do it...and as saph says it will decay in the sun and in winter probably split from the frost....most arent deep enough either and not well insulated.

I used one in my garage to over winter my goldies the first year as the pond wasnt really deep enough. I think if you have the indoor space somewhere for a pool then a temporary home in winter is a good idea.

Hehe, I was generally just curious as to why everyone wasn't doing it.

Figured that there was some obvious explanation I was missing.

Nevermind. I wasn't thinking of doing it myself. Just wondered if it was doable.

I have one thats 10 foot X 6 foot X 2 foot I'm getting ready to set up as a holding tank. For permanent use I would say no, but I'm just using it for a couple weeks to hold some koi I catch until I can sell them to local collectors. 800g for $25 was a great bargain ;)

Are you allowed to just 'catch' and then sell koi?

Seems odd... Pretty cool if you can, but still a bit odd.

How will you filter it then? Just stick what was a normal pond filter on it for the few weeks it's in use?

yeah i have a 21 000 litre pool in my garden and would love to turn it into a pond but one we use it and two if it split

ITX57985E.jpg

Are you allowed to just 'catch' and then sell koi?

Seems odd... Pretty cool if you can, but still a bit odd.

How will you filter it then? Just stick what was a normal pond filter on it for the few weeks it's in use?
Prolly will sell before I need to worry about a filter, it's big enough I'm not worried about it.

I am allowed to catch and sell. Invasive species, if caught are not aloud to be returned to the water legally, so I have to take them home. ;) Someone released pets so if I get them grats to me.

Hehe, wish we could do stuff like that in the Uk.

Getting a decent return/pay on a days fishing! Hehe.

How do you catch them? Rod and hook? I'm guessing not, but can't think how else you'd do it.

How do you catch them? Rod and hook? I'm guessing not, but can't think how else you'd do it.

a would imagine theres several of them using a large net and drag the net sort of traul

Catching them is the hard part at the moment. I've been using just rod and reel and trying different types of bait with no luck. They do come near the shore often though, so I'm almost at the point of just purchasing a net to collect them.

bae: Seine nets are illegal to use here or I'd do something like that. =/

How much do they sell for over there? I take it's similar to over here...taking into account the exchange rate of course.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back