Anyone else like to cook?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
professional as in I've been eating all my life :p
and even when it's crappy or I don't like it..
like I've said between me and my dog everything tastes great
Ps: life got so much better after getting a dog...no more complaints from my Maria about not eating this or that...
I feel like every couple should have a big dog that will munch on anything

The only cooking I have ever gotten into is Indian - more northern Indian. I love the complexity of spices, and the results.

I eat to live and am a barbarian about what I eat day to day, but when I want something different and special, out come all those bottles of spices, and I have a good time. My background is Irish Newfoundlander, so this cooking isn't a family thing, but I know what I like, and it's fun to make.

I love to experiment in the kitchen.
My mom gave me a challenge once to cook for our family of four, for under $30.
I did lambchops for all plus rated rescan potatoes on the side with money left over :)
My mom was surprised.

And I don't brag often but those lambchops were cooked to perfection

French bread with raspberry compote and sour cream whipped cream. Pretty close to what you were talking about ;). Boba seems to be a California and east coast thing. It’s originally from Taiwan, and it’s a tapioca starch ball with (in my strawberry one) strawberry juice inside. It is then rolled into tiny ball shapes and boiled. It’s delicious, but hard to make correctly.
D19B34F9-CF6C-407B-BA62-235777F6EF6D.jpeg

My uncle was a professional chef before he became a nurse.
The funny thing is he never liked cooking. He did it purely for the money. He hates cooking at home, to him, its just work.

I have cooked for most of my life. In the 1970s at my college fraternity the regular cook for the meal plan had a heart attack. I took the job for a semester. I traded cooking for free room for the semester. My bible in the kitchen is still an older copy of the Joy of Cooking. However, cooking would not be as much fun if we could not experiment.

Unfortunately, my diet has been greatly modified by a heart attack in 2019. I have given up a lot of foods but I still do have a few things I still eat. I make a killer apple and an even better peach pie. All from scratch. I even use leaf lard for the crust. I have a secret ingredient I add to each of them.

For apples it is Northern Spys and Ida Reds. The Spy is a local variety in the Northeast and, imo, one of the best pie apples. Ida Reds are a close second. Nexc would be Granny Smith, but I have never used them so far.

I have cooked for most of my life. In the 1970s at my college fraternity the regular cook for the meal plan had a heart attack. I took the job for a semester. I traded cooking for free room for the semester. My bible in the kitchen is still an older copy of the Joy of Cooking. However, cooking would not be as much fun if we could not experiment.

Unfortunately, my diet has been greatly modified by a heart attack in 2019. I have given up a lot of foods but I still do have a few things I still eat. I make a killer apple and an even better peach pie. All from scratch. I even use leaf lard for the crust. I have a secret ingredient I add to each of them.

For apples it is Northern Spys and Ida Reds. The Spy is a local variety in the Northeast and, imo, one of the best pie apples. Ida Reds are a close second. Nexc would be Granny Smith, but I have never used them so far.
I made a peach pie the other day. My pies never look good haha
D3F5BE2D-E0A8-4CE8-998B-056671E9803B.jpeg

While I like apple pie I LOVE peach pie or cobbler. MMM warm peach cobbler with a scoop of ice cream. ;)

This is a cruel thread. I'm walking 5-7 km a day and have cut out all desserts. As a teacher, I rarely ate lunch because I was too busy. As a retired teacher, I was eating too much and the weight started becoming a new part of me. I come from a diabetic family, so keeping a 'fighting weight' matters, beyond vanity. I keep sitting down to have a talk with my lazy old metabolism, and realizing sitting down is part of the problem.

If I can get the new weight off, I'll reward myself with a pie like you guys make. Cooking is one thing - baking is another....

This is a cruel thread. I'm walking 5-7 km a day and have cut out all desserts. As a teacher, I rarely ate lunch because I was too busy. As a retired teacher, I was eating too much and the weight started becoming a new part of me. I come from a diabetic family, so keeping a 'fighting weight' matters, beyond vanity. I keep sitting down to have a talk with my lazy old metabolism, and realizing sitting down is part of the problem.

If I can get the new weight off, I'll reward myself with a pie like you guys make. Cooking is one thing - baking is another....
Sorry to hear about the eating problems. :( I consider myself very blessed as I'll be 68 in less than two weeks and take zero prescription drugs. I also have very few aches and pains. Now and then my right knee will bother me a bit but that is from a sports injury that required surgery. And I get some grief now and then with my right eye but that was a military injury. Except for injury gripes I really have no aches and pains. I guess I have good genes. My great grandfather died of a heart attack while plowing his farm. He was 111 years old.

I can also eat anything I want even really spicy stuff. Shoot, if chili doesn't make your forehead sweat it isn't chili. ;) I REALLY do like spicy stuff but it can't just be 'heat'. The heat also has to have flavor.

I love to cook. Don't so much love cleaning up. That was one thing I loved about cooking professionally, back in my college days: We had people we paid to wash up. Sure wish we could hire one of them at our house.

Man, a good venison stroganoff is unbeatable. I do it a lot like you, Jay, but add a little bit of tomato to mine. I also tend to braise the less tender cuts for strog; I like to save the tender cuts for broiling or grilling. Takes longer but turns out just as good.

I share your opinion of ribeye steaks.

I love to cook. Don't so much love cleaning up. That was one thing I loved about cooking professionally, back in my college days: We had people we paid to wash up. Sure wish we could hire one of them at our house.

Man, a good venison stroganoff is unbeatable. I do it a lot like you, Jay, but add a little bit of tomato to mine. I also tend to braise the less tender cuts for strog; I like to save the tender cuts for broiling or grilling. Takes longer but turns out just as good.

I share your opinion of ribeye steaks.
I agree. I love to cook... The cleaning part not so much 😅

And I also bake. I make cookies lot (sometimes cause I just want the dough 😉😂)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back