Anyone Any Good With Electrics?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Davo86

Cichlids, Catfish and Oddballs
Reaction score
Basicly I have a hozelock powerclear 9000 in the pond which has worked perfectly since it was purchased, I recently changed the UV bulb on the unit and upon switching the unit back on it worked for 3 seconds then blew the whole electrics in the house, causing all switched on light bulbs to blow and other fuses to blow.

The UV is a direct replacement for the 13W fitted and I have also since stripped the unit down to see if the impellor was clogged etc, but the pump itself is clean and for the first few seconds the pump and uv work fine before they blow, I have since tried it on a isolated circuit breaker and the same thing happens, 

I have read that the unit contains a thermal protector which I understand offers some type of surge protection and shuts down the pump or UV if either one overheats, could this have gone on the unit or is there another w=electrical explanation?

Should also add wiring and fuse on the unit itself have been checked and are fine and unit is not cracked or letting water inside from what I can see, ?

i think you have an electrical problem in your home and/or panel that is more serious than just your pump....your pump should not be affecting anything else in your home except items that are on the same wiring/circuit as the pump itself

Depends how much of a pulse it sends through the house, It could easily trip it all.

I'd try plugging something else into the socket that you know works to see if it trips it.

Double check the bulb!

Not heard it in the 6000 or 9000s but definately in the 3000s... if the bulb is not a genuine Hozelock bulb, there is a very good chance its the bulb that is the problem.

But mental note for those that have the 3000 with the 5w bulb... ONLY buy Hozelock UV bulbs as the 5w Hozelock bulb is very *very* slightly different from the standard 5w bulb and forcing it in will destroy the unit!

Sounds to me like there is a problem with the glass - is it cracked? or rubber seal around the glass - check to see if it's fitted properly but it definitely sounds like water is getting into the bulb chamber.

Most reactions

trending

Back