Anymore Fish In A 55 Gallon

Markoi

Reaction score
Hi fish forums. My 55 gallon holds a firemouth x1, Blue acara x1 convict x1 and a rainbow shark x1. All of them are still small being the biggest only 4 inches. I was just wondering if im able to put any more fish in there. Maybe a nice looking a cichlid or a group of dithers. If you know any good cichlids or dithers that could go wit my setup pls tell me and help me out. Thank you if responded.

Severums would be ok in there I believe, they are aggressive enough to stick up for themselves. Tiger barbs would be nice as dithers. I have 14 or so in my 75 gallon as dithers.

I would say you could maybe squeeze an other cichlid in there but not sure what to recommend, maybe a female nic? As for dithers lots of options really any of the medium barbs like tigers or red line etc or giant danio or rainbow fish etc.

Its not large enough for a full grown severum, severums require a 75g tank minimum for long term growth and health.

You could fit another medium sized cichlid in there, or a group of dithers would be preferable, Tiger barbs would be fine, columbian tetras maybe, rainbowfish do make good dithers for peaceful (ish) cichlid tanks too.

Hi fish forums. My 55 gallon holds a firemouth x1, Blue acara x1 convict x1 and a rainbow shark x1. All of them are still small being the biggest only 4 inches. I was just wondering if im able to put any more fish in there. Maybe a nice looking a cichlid or a group of dithers. If you know any good cichlids or dithers that could go wit my setup pls tell me and help me out. Thank you if responded.
what are dithers ?? :unsure:

dithers is a term for two types of fish, first type is target fish these are usually large robust schooling fish that can swim fast and their job is to distract the cichlids from each other and take the odd beating. The second type is where you have smaller cichlids and then add in fast top water fish to make them feel more comfortable and encourage them to come out.

In this case we are talking about target fish to avoid too much agression on each of the cichlids for example if the con fights the FM thats one on one but if the con fights a group of silver dollars (for example) the con would try to fight 5 silver dollars so no one takes much damage but they also just run rather than fight back which avoids lip locking etc and it just makes for a nice balance in cichlid tanks.

Also just to echo Minxy about not putting Severums in there. The commonly available Hero efascticious get too big for a 55.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back