Anybody recognize this worm from my filter?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

GuppyNamedOscar

Reaction score
I set up a dirted tank about a week ago with soil from my (organic) yard and sand from the stream, plus some fallen branches. I soaked and rinsed the soil a few times and soaked the branches in saltwater for a couple days and stripped the bark. Still, plenty of opportunity for tiny critters to be imported.

Yesterday, I noticed a tiny bladder snail on the glass. Today, I went to change the filter pad and saw this guy. He's thin, a couple inches long, and has antenna and lots of legs. He's shy-- kept hiding in folds of the filter anytime I'd try to expose him for a picture. Seems at home in the water. Any ideas what he is and if he's likely to be a problem? It's just plants so far, but I plan to add fish.
One picture shows antenna and legs, and the other shows legs.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220906_164122.jpg
    20220906_164122.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220906_164116.jpg
    20220906_164116.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 31
Interesting. Looks like a centipede to me, but that would be trying like crazy to get out of the water. I just found out there's an aquatic centipede, but it lives in SE Asia, not Tennessee. Might need some better pictures for a good ID.

Interesting. Looks like a centipede to me, but that would be trying like crazy to get out of the water. I just found out there's an aquatic centipede, but it lives in SE Asia, not Tennessee. Might need some better pictures for a good ID.
Agreed. It does look like a centipede!
I got bit on one of my fingers when it crawled into my nail and bit the pink skin in there hard 😬😤😫
That hurt BAD

Fascinating! I just moved houses a couple months ago, but I'm in the same city. In the old house, it was pretty common to see a centipede in the bathroom. Those looked very different than this guy-- greyish and much fatter. So my knee-jerk reaction was of course it's not a centipede! Quick Google image search of centipedes, and yeah, that's probably what it is. Guess I'm not used to the fauna of my new digs yet!

Fascinating! I just moved houses a couple months ago, but I'm in the same city. In the old house, it was pretty common to see a centipede in the bathroom. Those looked very different than this guy-- greyish and much fatter. So my knee-jerk reaction was of course it's not a centipede! Quick Google image search of centipedes, and yeah, that's probably what it is. Guess I'm not used to the fauna of my new digs yet!
But why is it under water???

He was actually in the HOB on a filter pad, so maybe he fell in and couldn't get out? I'm not sure how he survived so long, unless he was partly above water? I hope he's not aqautic, because I released him in the garden a long way from the stream!

Wish I still had photoshop; I'd be making a pic of a centipede with scuba gear.

But more seriously, you seem to have stumbled on a trending area of science.

Wish I still had photoshop; I'd be making a pic of a centipede with scuba gear.

But more seriously, you seem to have stumbled on a trending area of science.

That's awesome! I'll have to see if I notice any when I'm walking in the stream. Kinda regret taking him out of the tank now (but only kinda!)

Anybody recognize this worm from my filter?​

Her name is Bernice, we dated a few times last year. She's a bit nippy, if you know what I mean ;) ;)

She does look like a Bernice.

I'm interested to hear more about your aquarium plan, though. I am very interested in biotope tanks, especially local ones! Sounds like you might be headed that direction.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back