Anybody know where to get Pygmy Sunfish UK?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yes please! I'm looking for rare hard water fish to stock my 10 gallon!
Heterandria Formosa. m18mm/f30mm.
Not the most attractive fish but the attractive fish of their size will have been eaten up by other fish and birds thousands of years ago. They’ve a strange way of swimming, go forward 4” or so then stop and look around, then go forward another short distance and stop to look around etc etc. I suppose it’s what’s kept them in existence.
Community fish so just add a m&f and pretty soon you’ll have a few little uns.

Heterandria Formosa. m18mm/f30mm.
Not the most attractive fish but the attractive fish of their size will have been eaten up by other fish and birds thousands of years ago. They’ve a strange way of swimming, go forward 4” or so then stop and look around, then go forward another short distance and stop to look around etc etc. I suppose it’s what’s kept them in existence.
Community fish so just add a m&f and pretty soon you’ll have a few little uns.
These if im not mistake are Least killifish which I found to be really rare in the uk

Another opption for hard water is a Betta Mahachai there a more hardwater tolerate wild betta species which im getting for my 7 Gallon

I don't like shipping fish.
But I'll keep that option in consideration.
I don’t know where you are in the U.K. but I know people or shops in Cornwall, east London, Lincolnshire, Ipswich, gateshead and Glasgow who nearly always have them for sale. Plus someone on here in Herts or Beds when I first joined had them but I can’t remember who?

I don’t know where you are in the U.K. but I know people or shops in Cornwall, east London, Lincolnshire, Ipswich, gateshead and Glasgow who nearly always have them for sale. Plus someone on here in Herts or Beds when I first joined had them but I can’t remember who?
What were the places in lincolnshire that you knew of? Im after some pygmy sunfish myself at the minute.

It has been mentioned in this thread that it may be illegal to keep pygmy sunfish in the UK. I have found an article from 2022 which lists fish which it is legal to keep in aquariums. The list includes 3 Elassoma species - E. evergladei, E. gilberti and E. okefenokee. Just those three species are legal.

Interestingly, and off topic, it is legal to keep almost all Gambusia species, but there are two illegal species - G. affinis and G. holbrooki.

It has been mentioned in this thread that it may be illegal to keep pygmy sunfish in the UK. I have found an article from 2022 which lists fish which it is legal to keep in aquariums. The list includes 3 Elassoma species - E. evergladei, E. gilberti and E. okefenokee. Just those three species are legal.

Interestingly, and off topic, it is legal to keep almost all Gambusia species, but there are two illegal species - G. affinis and G. holbrooki.
Yeah im after the evergladei, They seem to be the main ones sold over here when they have them in so im guessing there still legal as cant find any info stating different so far.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back