FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Any watch people here? As in, people who wear watches, enjoy them, service them, etc.

I personally have a G-Shock GD350-3403. It’s a great watch and takes daily abuse that would render other watches useless.

It is usually $125+ new, but I got it for $25 on Craigslist.

I‘m looking into the DW5600E-1v for my new dress watch. It is an older style of watch, not as fancy as my GD350. It’s thin and that’s what counts. I wear a dress shirt and a jacket every week for church, so the bulky GD350 is out of the question for dress apparel. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GAYQKY/?tag=ff0d01-20)

Here is my GD-350:
72A63C78-3835-4B5C-BEAE-CAF7A17656B5.jpeg

Here is the 350 with my Ontario Utilitac II:
A3FFAD33-FCC2-4161-A42B-171C5633DB2B.jpeg

Not sure if any of the guy are watch people or if this thread will even catch on... :)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I do own a Breitling avenger that my dad left me when he died but I have never worn it , it’s by far the most expensive thing I own lmao I do like watches it’s just I never use one it’s to easy and too of an automatic reaction to check my phone for the time

I had a watch many years ago but it got destroyed when I was hit by a car. At the hospital the cops asked me if I knew approximately when the accident happened. I told them to look at my watch. They got the exact time down to the second because the watch face had been smashed in at the time of the accident.

The motorist's insurance refused to replace the watch and gave me $50 credit at a watch makers to have it fixed. They tried to fix it but it never held time after that. A few years later I threw it away because it annoyed me. Never had a watch since.

I do own a Breitling avenger that my dad left me when he died but I have never worn it , it’s by far the most expensive thing I own lmao I do like watches it’s just I never use one it’s to easy and too of an automatic reaction to check my phone for the time
Nice!

That is an issue these days - everyone has a phone so it’s a natural reaction. Especially young people, I never see them wearing watches and if they do, they have those ridiculous Apple watches.

I, not having a phone, rely on my watch every single day.

I had a watch many years ago but it got destroyed when I was hit by a car. At the hospital the cops asked me if I knew approximately when the accident happened. I told them to look at my watch. They got the exact time down to the second because the watch face had been smashed in at the time of the accident.

The motorist's insurance refused to replace the watch and gave me $50 credit at a watch makers to have it fixed. They tried to fix it but it never held time after that. A few years later I threw it away because it annoyed me. Never had a watch since.
Wow, that’s incredible they were able to do that. Sorry about your watch, I know I’m attached to mine. :(

I am one of those weird people who never has the phone nearby. I do wear one, inexpensive and easy to take off so I do not risk putting in the tank. Back in the days of scuba diving, my trusty watch never left my wrist as it went through everything, and so it stayed for about 20 years.

I would not wear a watch made of plastic for any purpose other than sports. If you want to look smart metal is the only way to go imho.

I'll tell you a funny story, I had a Indigo Timex watch when I was a young man, I was pretty impressed it had so many features and was waterproof - which was an essential feature in my mind as I have a pool in the back garden and we took a lot of boating trips with our boat. Once on a trip, not long after buying it, I went to step onto the boat after pushing it off, and slipped and fell into the canal. However as I was trying my best to hold onto the railing down the side of the boat, the wrist band got wrenched off so it fell into the dirty canal and I had no means of fishing it out. I had wondered how many years it would have worked underwater all by its own?

I am one of those weird people who never has the phone nearby. I do wear one, inexpensive and easy to take off so I do not risk putting in the tank. Back in the days of scuba diving, my trusty watch never left my wrist as it went through everything, and so it stayed for about 20 years.
Scuba watches are pretty expensive I hear. If I were a scuba diver, I would probably get the G-Shock Frogman Master of G (GWFA1000-1A2): https://www.gshock.com/watches/mast...Q4LwMTyFGEAXUqmtuwMVbzJmZqUxaHnoaAm5cEALw_wcB

I would not wear a watch made of plastic for any purpose other than sports. If you want to look smart metal is the only way to go imho.

I'll tell you a funny story, I had a Indigo Timex watch when I was a young man, I was pretty impressed it had so many features and was waterproof - which was an essential feature in my mind as I have a pool in the back garden and we took a lot of boating trips with our boat. Once on a trip, not long after buying it, I went to step onto the boat after pushing it off, and slipped and fell into the canal. However as I was trying my best to hold onto the railing down the side of the boat, the wrist band got wrenched off so it fell into the dirty canal and I had no means of fishing it out. I had wondered how many years it would have worked underwater all by its own?
It would work until the battery ran out, if it had one. Depending on the quality of the watch. Never had a Timex before, so I have no option on the quality on one. ;)

Metal watches can be good... for dressy occasions... my G-Sock is mostly plastic, with a resin band and a metal backing. It is light for me and I wear it all day on my wrist, forgetting I have it on at times.

Now the super cheap $10 plastic Walmart matches make me sick - those may last you a couple of months, while a G-Shock will last you your whole life. (I have 4 of those cheapy watches, that’s when I found G-Sock’s... :hey: )

——————-

The widely debated topic: G-Shock GG100-1A5 .VS. Apple Watch

People say, “Oh, just get an Apple Watch, it has all the stuff that G-Shock has and more”

*First time they go outside of the house to work - breaks it in 5 seconds*

People always say Apple watches are better because they can do more stuff, but as I always say, “Quantity does not equal quality”.

What are your guys opinions on this topic?

G in question:https://www.gshock.com/watches/mast...tZjzt365wmiYdOhMAQsXace48LyhIKpEaAtCAEALw_wcB

Apple Watch in question:

Why do you have to be a guy to be into watches? :D

For me, it's Citizen Eco Drive all the way. I have always been a watch person, but invariably, what always used to happen was that the battery would die, I'd forget to get it replaced, I'd wear a watch that didn't tell time on my wrist for a month, and then I'd be lost in life for the next month after I took my watch off with the intention of getting the battery replaced, and then it would take me a month to adjust back to life with a watch after I got it replaced. All-in-all a three month process caused from a dead watch battery. Maybe if I was more organized in that aspect of life watch batteries would have worked better, but alas.

I got my husband the Citizen Eco Drive CA0260-52H: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006D0UAA6/?tag=ff0d01-20 almost 10 years ago now.

He reciprocated and got me this one:
1605544950765.png

sorry terrible picture I know. And yeeeeessss, the only downside of that watch is that it has the built-in day tracker, like the battery problem I never adjust it aaaand as a result it thinks we are on the 22nd of god knows what month. I wanted these features without the day tracker, but that combination wasn't available :(

And then we got my mom a citizen eco drive when her old watch broke two years ago as well.

Sure, they're not the most expensive of watches, but I think citizen is a great company and the eco-drive feature has been really critical for me. I just took my watch off to take a picture of it, and realized that was probably the first time in months that I've taken it off. Once I get my fish tank set up I probably should start taking it off when I put my hand in there to avoid putting gunk from the watch band into the tank.... I also think the titanium makes a huge difference; we love to go backpacking (taken a small hiatus from that while our son is young) but weight actually factored into my watch decision too, because it turns out that a titanium watch weighs almost half of what a "regular" watch weighs. So I really don't even notice my watch is on.

Anyway, that's my two cents on the topic :)

Scuba watches are pretty expensive I hear. If I were a scuba diver, I would probably get the G-Shock Frogman Master of G (GWFA1000-1A2): https://www.gshock.com/watches/mast...Q4LwMTyFGEAXUqmtuwMVbzJmZqUxaHnoaAm5cEALw_wcB
Yes, they can be. I remember saving for about 6 months so I could pay the exorbitant amount of $280 for my Tag Heuer, but it was on my wrist for 20+ years, and I still have it and it still works! I stopped wearing it because it is heavy all stainless steel and do not scuba dive anymore.

People always say Apple watches are better because they can do more stuff, but as I always say, “Quantity does not equal quality”.

They probably spy on you. I will not be buying a watch from any Tech Giant anytime soon.

I think ultimately what the original poster needs to do is consider if he is wearing dressy shirts for dress up occasions, does he really want crap like time lapse or timers built in, or simply a smart looking watch to tell the time on.
You need to remember what jewelry you buy is going to tell people information about your style and choices and overall strategy in life. You see these silly rap stars wearing 'bling' and its like huge metal chain. Well, yes a huge gold chain will cost a fortune, however, consider the difference between buying a huge £400 gold chain or buying some little Pierre Cardin cuff links - one shouts "I am week and thus I need attention" the other says "I am perfectly comfortable". On the other hand, that plastic watch you linked to for $350 has no style compared to this for £4.73. Could try watch cufflinks, they look interesting.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
They probably spy on you. I will not be buying a watch from any Tech Giant anytime soon.

I think ultimately what the original poster needs to do is consider if he is wearing dressy shirts for dress up occasions, does he really want crap like time lapse or timers built in, or simply a smart looking watch to tell the time on.
You need to remember what jewelry you buy is going to tell people information about your style and choices and overall strategy in life. You see these silly rap stars wearing 'bling' and its like huge metal chain. Well, yes a huge gold chain will cost a fortune, however, consider the difference between buying a huge £400 gold chain or buying some little Pierre Cardin cuff links - one shouts "I am week and thus I need attention" the other says "I am perfectly comfortable". On the other hand, that plastic watch you linked to for $350 has no style compared to this for £4.73. Could try watch cufflinks, they look interesting.

You say “plastic watch” like it some cheapy off of list. G-Shock is one of the most trusted brands of watches and is used by military personal around the globe.

Sure the one in your link may be cheap and it may be “smart” but how durable is it? Would you swear it swimming? Would you wear it working?

I have worn mine to work, (I work in a distribution place - boxing, re boxing, making boxes, cutting down boxes, lifting, etc.), swimming, (in both creeks and pools), outside in the woods, dropped it multiple occasions on carpet and tile and never once has it failed me.

The G-Shock I was looking at for my dress watch, isn’t meant to say “Look at MMEEE I’m rich”, it’s more to say, “Wassup bruh, just try to break me”.

Just my opinion...

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Why do you have to be a guy to be into watches? :D

For me, it's Citizen Eco Drive all the way. I have always been a watch person, but invariably, what always used to happen was that the battery would die, I'd forget to get it replaced, I'd wear a watch that didn't tell time on my wrist for a month, and then I'd be lost in life for the next month after I took my watch off with the intention of getting the battery replaced, and then it would take me a month to adjust back to life with a watch after I got it replaced. All-in-all a three month process caused from a dead watch battery. Maybe if I was more organized in that aspect of life watch batteries would have worked better, but alas.

I got my husband the Citizen Eco Drive CA0260-52H: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006D0UAA6/?tag=ff0d01-20 almost 10 years ago now.

He reciprocated and got me this one:
View attachment 122762
sorry terrible picture I know. And yeeeeessss, the only downside of that watch is that it has the built-in day tracker, like the battery problem I never adjust it aaaand as a result it thinks we are on the 22nd of god knows what month. I wanted these features without the day tracker, but that combination wasn't available :(

And then we got my mom a citizen eco drive when her old watch broke two years ago as well.

Sure, they're not the most expensive of watches, but I think citizen is a great company and the eco-drive feature has been really critical for me. I just took my watch off to take a picture of it, and realized that was probably the first time in months that I've taken it off. Once I get my fish tank set up I probably should start taking it off when I put my hand in there to avoid putting gunk from the watch band into the tank.... I also think the titanium makes a huge difference; we love to go backpacking (taken a small hiatus from that while our son is young) but weight actually factored into my watch decision too, because it turns out that a titanium watch weighs almost half of what a "regular" watch weighs. So I really don't even notice my watch is on.

Anyway, that's my two cents on the topic :)
Sorry! Didn’t mean the “guy” thing like that. I call my sister and mom guys so... lol.

It is a nice lookin Watch! :good:

And yes, I always take my watch off before sticking my hands in my tank. :nod:

For me, it's Citizen Eco Drive all the way.
I have 2 of those, different styles from yours though. One is mine and the other belonged to my late mother. Mine doesn't have a date on it but my mother's does and I know what you mean about keeping it at the right date.
I keep them charged up by leaving them on the window ledge when I'm not wearing them.

This is my mother's, they stopped making mine several years ago

@PheonixKingZ
Ha! Thanks!

So, this is going to age me, and put me a bit into the camp of "well, young grasshopper", and I really do apologize for that! But, I wanted to share that when I was in high school, I thought the G shock watches were literally the coolest thing ever. For years, I begged my parents for a white and red G shock model, and just like yours, it did everything except make me oatmeal in the mornings. My parents predictably said no, and I didn't have a job, so that was the end of that lol. However, as I've gotten older my tastes have changed, and I can't say that anyone in my group of friends or in the professional spheres that I am in would think very highly of a G shock watch. At the same time, I mostly find myself in academic spheres as opposed to industry or other fields, so it may just be a frame of reference question.

but yes, this ages me, and puts me in the camp of wanting to tell my high school self that life gets better the older you get and the more perspective you gain, but it doesn't really help your current reality, so I'll just close this by saying that my younger self would have been really impressed of your current watch, and I think it's totally valid to like what you like :)

@essjay

woohoo!! Can I commend you on your good taste? :D
Funny you mentioned that thing about the window sill, that is where I put mine to take a picture of it, since I was like "well, if I'm taking it off to take a picture of it, I might as well give it some sunlight while I'm at it!"

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back