Any suggestions?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

xxaprilrose

Reaction score
I started cycling my tank 11 days ago. Itā€™s fishless but I did add ammonia (started at 2ppm) and api quick start. Tank is 37g. Ph is 7.6. Yesterday I went to a fish store and purchased a fish but wonā€™t be getting him until this is cycled. While I was there the guy gave me about half a gallon of water from one of his tanks that he squeezed out his sponge filter into and it was super dirty so I assume it grabbed a bunch of stuff to help. I poured it into my tank. How long do you think I should be seeing changes for the cycle? I did it last night and now today my ammonia now looks like itā€™s at 1ppm but idk if itā€™s like that because I added some water or not but nitrites is 0. I did nitrates for the heck of it and I think itā€™s a little orange? Itā€™s strange the tube looks orange but when I pick it up and look through it in the sunlight itā€™s yellow but a tad more yellowy orange than the 0 level yellow if that makes sense lol (using api test kit)

Itā€™s hard to say if the dirty water will make much of a difference or not, all tanks cycle at their own speed. Itā€™s just a matter of wait and see Iā€™m afraid.

If I grabbed my friends filter media and placed in mine could that help? My issue is that I wasnā€™t looking to buy a fish but I ran by the most beautiful flowerhorn I had ever seen in my life. The fish store allowed me to purchase it and place on hold but only for a week. So I donā€™t know what to do and I never wanted or anticipated to be in this spot but I just couldnā€™t pass up this fish. The fish is about maybe 5 inches right now. And I have a 90 gallon tank I will be moving the fish to this is just temporary to grow as my 90 gallon is not set up by any means. If I donā€™t see improvement could I empty the tank, fill it, add api quick start and then add the fish in the next day? And do daily water changes to keep ammonia down? Idk Iā€™m torn. May just have to get a refund šŸ„ŗ hereā€™s my fish I fell in love with for reference

Attachments

• DAEC552A-031D-47D5-A3D0-286E178260DD.jpeg
    DAEC552A-031D-47D5-A3D0-286E178260DD.jpeg
    234.5 KB · Views: 57

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back