Any small tank ideas?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Zephyrski

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been thinking about getting a small tank, preferably not bigger than 3 gallons. Would that be good for anything?

Snails and shrimps really... The smallest tank size for any fish (depending on species) would be five gallons

@Kolykaf has a pair of Pygmy sunfish in a densely planted 3 gallon. Although for commonly found options, shrimp and snails.

@Kolykaf has a pair of Pygmy sunfish in a densely planted 3 gallon. Although for commonly found options, shrimp and snails.
Three gallons is really small... That surprises me... How big are they?

Three gallons is really small... That surprises me... How big are they?
Really small. abt 1 inch. They are hard to find, and a bit pricey. But they are hardy. They appreciate room temp, densely planted tanks. I threw out the idea in hopes that someone (maybe even Kolykaf) may provide more insight. Of course in nano tanks, bigger is always better and it depends on the level of experience/ability.

Really small. abt 1 inch. They are hard to find, and a bit pricey. But they are hardy. They appreciate room temp, densely planted tanks. I threw out the idea in hopes that someone (maybe even Kolykaf) may provide more insight. Of course in nano tanks, bigger is always better and it depends on the level of experience/ability.
How long is an average three gallon tank?

It depends. It could be a bowl, which would be like 14 inches across, or it could be a cube, which could be 8.
I personally wouldn't keep them in a three gallon (even though its most likely do-able). I would probably keep it in a five gallon tank

I personally wouldn't keep them in a three gallon (even though its most likely do-able). I would probably keep it in a five gallon tank
It would depend on your experience level and what you’re comfortable with. Bigger is, of course, better. They’d likely be happier in a 10 gallon with a bigger group, but I wouldn’t consider smaller cruel.

This place has a good number of nano tanks scattered around the building. It's perhaps the best place in the UK for aquascaping and nano tank builds.
Perhaps you can draw down a few ideas from the video.
I think the Chili Rasbora, Dwarf Rasbora, Emerald Rasbora or Celestial Pearl Danio's would be the best way to go if it's fish you want to home. The overall dimensions would stretch the imagination though. Maybe if you went at decreasing the height to give more width or depth you could do something but why not just do a tray type of aquascape.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back