Any Pygmy Chameleon Keepers Here?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

CezzaXV

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Been doing a bit of research online tonight. I was planning on setting up a shrimp tank but took a detour and discovered pygmy chameleons. They are so adorable! I've been considering an exotic pet for a while now but the chameleons are the only ones that neither seem boring or just no way I would sleep with that in my room at night.

The pygmy ones more than the others interest me because as well as being cuter, they'd also fit into the size terrarium that I could actually fit in my room.

Basically looking for a bit more info from anyone that has them. I've been googling care sheets but it's not the same as hearing from someone who's kept them before.

I've never kept them but my friend has and he said that "because they are so cute and lovable" and he recommends them to just about anyone looking for an exotic pet

Chameleons are awesome! I have a Yemens Chameleon myself!!

However. He is the best thing in my life.. i am NEVER donig the 'chameleon thing' again!

If it is your first reptile... i really recommend you not getting a chameleon. They arent easy at all, also whilst the Pygmy Chams are really cute, chameleons are seriously a 'hands off' pet and dont much like being handled at all.

The correct humidity, temperature, UV, Basking light etc. Believe me, small vivariums for chams are seriously hard work! Trying to fit on a UV bulb, a basking kight unit and either finding time to spray them every day without fail (as they only drink droplets!) or another expensive bit of kit like a mister.

Not to mention the viv, the light units etc for both heat and UV sources, a digital thermometer and hygrometer for the temperature and humidity readings.

I shouldnt think they live long at all! Would dpend on species and i'd have to double check but the bigger yemens only live 3-5 years tops (my boy is 3 :( ) yeah... about 3 years unless you find someone selling them as babies as they are generally wild caught adults and dont live so long.

Just a few ideas though but you are going to need some serious research on keeping any of the smaller species. Reptile Forums UK would be best place!

But just thinking of another species or two for you...

How about Frogs? Dendrobate arrow frogs? Definately not handleable (without latex gloves on!) but then... neither are pygmy chameleons. Im thinking of going down that route eventually!

Lygodactylus species:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1052&bih=635&q=lygodactylus&gbv=2&oq=lygodac&aq=1&aqi=g8g-S2&aql=&gs_l=img.1.1.0l8j0i24l2.812.3911.0.5301.7.6.0.1.1.0.317.1475.1j0j4j1.6.0...0.0.w3zJFMh3Y9A

The Electric Blues (L. williamsii) is what im planning to keep a breedng group of eventually. Saving up though as even at 3cm or so... they go for about £90 each and i want one male, three females LOL. However there are lots of similar Lygodactylus species but not so bright. Google Yellow Headed Lygodactylus.

Phelsuma species of Day Geckos. There are a lot of species around, might be some small enough? Phelsuma klemmeri look awesome and dont need much space at all, you could easily keep 3-4 in that space :)

http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/gecko-care-sheets/18789-phelsuma-klemmeri.html

and last one i can think of is:

Stenodactylus, instead of rainforest set up, it would be a small desert settup! Seen gorgeous settups with little caves, sand and cacti and rocks etc.

Cant for life of me remember which species is the commonly available one but they are cute as heck! About 1-2" and scamper about fast and bask on pebbles under the heat.

Maybe some more ideas? :good:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=tiny+stenodactylus+species&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1052&bih=635&wrapid=tlif133780441583510&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=hUa9T9UHzZnRBebW8Do

I forgot all about this thread!

I'm still considering some kind of exotic pet, but I've not figured out what to go for yet. The latest idea is cockroaches because from what I've read they're reasonably low maintenance and good for beginners, but I've not made any decisions yet. I need to go back to the shop and take a look at what's available.

Some great suggestions there MBOU! I'm not looking for something I can handle, just something that will be interesting to look at.

My input? A corn snake! Best exotic pet I've found so far apart from Rainbow Boa's and Carpet Pythons :)

Google 'Super Dalmation Crested Gecko' thats what i'm going for next :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back