Any opinions on Asian Stone Catfish (Hara jerdoni)?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

otterblue

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has kept Asian Stone Catfish (Hara jerdoni) and, if so, how much do you like them. I'm considering getting four. Thanks.

Really cool little fish. Don't take a lot of space; one of the few fish I recommend for a 5 gallon. Sources say they are social, but that has not been my experience; they completely ignore everyone else, including each other. Appreciate some leaf litter to hide out in. Not active or flashy; enjoy hiding out a lot, but when they decide to feed they're fun to watch. Be careful to make sure they're getting enough food, as they aren't competitive at all and have very poor eyesight. In fact, I strongly suspect they're blind or nearly so.

When they decide to feed or go exploring, they sort of bumble around the aquarium, bumping into random objects including other fish. Really amusing to watch. :)

I was wondering if anyone has kept Asian Stone Catfish (Hara jerdoni) and, if so, how much do you like them. I'm considering getting four. Thanks.
from a little bit of searching:
1. i want the fish now lol
2. apparently they need groups of 6 or more, and usually if web sources say 6 its better to have 10 or more.

I agree they're very fun fish. I don't see them socializing but I do have them in groups of at least five. Did you like a sandy bottom and a lot of leaf litter and if you keep your tank dim you will see them out.

2. apparently they need groups of 6 or more, and usually if web sources say 6 its better to have 10 or more.
This is one of those cases where I think the accepted wisdom is incorrect. Sometimes, websites quote other websites, without actual experience with the fish. I suspect that is the case with these fish. It doesn't hurt to have them in groups, but after keeping this species for several years, I wouldn't hesitate to keep one alone. I certainly wouldn't agree that they need groups of six or more, in the way that tetras or danios do. They really just ignore each other.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back