Sege

Reaction score
Hi :) I'm new to the aquarium hobby and I recently refurbished a 10 gallon tank that I bought at a garage sale, (no leaks, thankfully :yahoo:) I have researched a lot of different fish, and I came across AqAdvisor, I tried it out, and people are right that website really helps with stocking! Although I do want a bit more frenzy going on hehe. My tank has only been set-up and running for around 3 days now, so I'm planning on waiting a few more just so that everything settles down.
My hardness is too soft, and I don't know how to raise that so if anyone had any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Along with my pH...It's at 8.4 and I need it at 7.6-7.8, any suggestions would be awesome.
My ideas for the tank are to get 5 Neon Tetras, 2 Dwarf Gourami, and 1 Black Racer Nerite Snail, and a thing or two else for the freshwater aquarium. I was going to drip acclimate them slowly, not all at once, just to avoid the shock and temperature. (I hear that is the best method.)
In the future I want to add some more things to the tank.
I have plenty of hiding spots, but no live plants other than some duckweed floating on the top.
I am looking for suitable bottom feeders that would get along nicely with the combination, and wouldn't disturb my Nerite Snail. I don't want to overcrowd, and I don't want any fish to get eaten. ;)I can't find any info online about the situation. Thanks so much for any advice, and sorry for all the writing. :/

~Sege :fish:

My tank has only been set-up and running for around 3 days now, so I'm planning on waiting a few more just so that everything settles down.

You are not waiting for everything to "settle down" what you are waiting for is the cycle to take place. please read this article on cycling tanks as it is vital your tank is cycled before fish are entered or you will have a big mess on your hands (Dead fish)
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

Also welcome to the forum! we're glad to have you here!

Honestly there isn't a whole lot you can keep comfortably in a 10gal. Trying to have two dwarf gourami would be a bad idea, they are similar to bettas in several ways, one being they are often aggressive towards their own kind. I would switch to the dwarf honey gourami, as they are less aggressive and even smaller than the average dwarf gourami.

I personally wouldn't keep neons in a 10gal, they may be small but they like to be in high numbers and they like their swimming space. A 20gal would be the smallest I would keep them in.

A few species that I would consider keeping in a 10gal:
1 betta
shrimp
pair of shell dwelling cichlids
guppies
Snails
pea puffers

As for hardening the water while also trying to lower the pH...not too sure about that.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back