Any Large Fish (8-12 Inches) That Can Get Along With Smaller Fish (3-4

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Squatchmen

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I'm not stopping till I get a fish that can be housed in my 60gal aquarium with these other fish:

> Rams
> Apistos
> Killifish
> Gouramis
> Rainbowfish

I was really excited to get them, and would like to know if there is such a thing for SOME larger fish that can be in the same aquarium as smaller fish.

Today, I just got an electric blue ram, a Bolivian ram, and a gold ram, then I also got a cobalt gourami, and a gold gourami, then three boesemani rainbowfish.

I plan to get the rest in a couple of weeks.

But are there any fish for a 60gal aquarium that can be housed with those other types of fish - I also heard of a golden rule....."Big fish eat smaller fish" but is that true for every fish?

I can't upload any photos because apparently they're too big and won't automatically down size on this site

Squatchmen said:
"Big fish eat smaller fish" but is that true for every fish?

No, fish have different personalities, however if you decide to house smaller fish with a large fish, be prepared to lose some. I personally would avoid adding anything monstrously big to that tank and up the number of rainbows. All the large fish i can think of that won't cause any problems in terms of eating your other fish (Clown Loaches, Bala Sharks) are shoaling fish and i don't think your tank is large enough to house an entire shoal.

Large with small isn't always an issue, I've seen 2 beautiful 12" Cigar Sharks happily swimming with neon tetras at my LFS. I can't imagine they'd have put them in together if there was a chance they'd be scoffed.

I'm afraid neither Clown Loaches nor Bala Sharks are suitable for a tank of your volume. You've already narrowed your options for larger fish with the ones you already have in there or plan to get. Also Rams/Apistos are quite territorial and work best in pairs. A more experiences member should be able to give you the specifics of some of the smaller cichlids. Be aware though, that Rams can be quite difficult to keep and require quite specific tank conditions and tank mates.

You could perhaps consider some of the smaller sized Plecos, there's a few of them that don't get huge - a BN Plec, perhaps?

TallTree01 said:
8-12 inch fish don't belong in a 60 gallon IMHO.
confused.gif

+1...if this is what you meant by "bigger fish" then I'm afraid that's not going to work.

Edit: Jeeso, it's right in the title, I missed that...

Sweet, a Couple of replies, thanks guys about so at least there's a couple you guys did name but aren't quite suitable, my favorites were these:

>Bala Shark
>Cigar Shark
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would a Roseline Shark be a good choice?

Or an Angelfish?

I was really hoping for something colorful as well

Oh, and I've been thinking about but I'm happy with my stock list and I think the thread can end

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back