Any idea what this is?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Aroc2226

Reaction score
Iā€™m actually not sure how long this has been here. I just noticed it today.

Any ideas?

What Iā€™m looking at are the black round dots

Attachments

• CD345EB8-00AD-4399-BEC9-47F589CE8638.jpeg
    CD345EB8-00AD-4399-BEC9-47F589CE8638.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 32
Not entirely sure but looks like a type of colonial algae of some sort. Pretty sure I have seen it in freshwater streams but never in a tank. I am intrigued. Started looking it up, haven't found anything. Is the wood from a stream in Montana, I used to live just North of the border and I am sure I have seen this in the East Kootenays.

Not entirely sure but looks like a type of colonial algae of some sort. Pretty sure I have seen it in freshwater streams but never in a tank. I am intrigued. Started looking it up, haven't found anything. Is the wood from a stream in Montana, I used to live just North of the border and I am sure I have seen this in the East Kootenays.
Store bought

If itā€™s new wood it will be fungus growing from spores on or in the wood. They grow because the wood has got wet again but theyā€™re not aquatic do they wonā€™t last long.

I always have these on my wood... I brush them off and they slowly return... Don't know exactly what they are but I've always just assumed algae or something like it. I've always wondered though

how big are the dots?
I have had it grow when i soaked wood before, I was worried so I gave up on the wood, but actually its pretty harmless
It is most likely fungus
It could also be the start of BBA

Yeah they almost look like toadspawn or something weird xD

I was wondering if it was perhaps Nostoc - a cyanobacteria but that doesn't quite look right. Any chance of a closer picture. The surface looks fuzzy, perhaps a type of black beard algae, is the only thing I have been able to find.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back