Any Idea What This Is?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dougie

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi All, as title suggests, two of my cories have the same white thing "growing" out of pretty much the same place. Forgive the rubbish pic, they don't keep still. Will try to get a better one. Any ideas / treatment?

cheers

Are you talking about the white mark around the pectoral fin or is that just reflection, or the white line from the dorsal fin?

Im afraid we need more information :/

Is it on the top of the dorsal area of by the pectoral fins?

What are water stats? (Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. Exact numbers please. Also taken with liquid test kit)
What size tank?
What are the tankmates?
Water change schedule?
How do you clean/change filter and media?
What is the shoal size?
Are they lethargic?
How long have you had them?
How long has the tank been set up?
Did you cycle the tank?

Ok. I'll fill you in best I can (I'm out at the mo, replying by phone). Last stats taken Sunday were 0, 0, 40. I have been having weird issues over the last month with nitrates going up to 80. I upped water changes to 30% every other day as opposed to my usual 30% once a week.
Tank is 29 (Uk) gals.
Media is rinsed (in tank water) about once every 3 months, not very vigorously if I'm honest, a quick rinse. And I change the filter floss on ever weekly water change.
There are 5 of the cories, they are tiny, with two showing the white by the pectoral fin. The one in the pic also has a smaller "infection" by it's dorsal fin. I've had them about 3 weeks. They are in a tank with a BN plec, he's been in the tank for about 5 years, 6 platies, about 5 months. And that's it.
They are not at all lethargic. The tank has been set up for 5 years or so. I was using it as a grow out tank for my 400 litre tank, but recently decided to give it to my son. I still do the maintenance on it, and very rarely have I had many issues.
The only things I've done recently is remove some stones to give more of a footprint for the bottom dwellers, and maybe half the amount of Java fern which was getting out of control. Sand substrate, three large pieces of driftwood. Can't think of much else off the top of my head. That's a lot to type out on your phone.....
Cheers.

Does it look anything like this?

If so its dermosporin, which is (depending on where you read) a worm like parasite, or a fungal infection which usually affects the fins, but can be found on the body of a fish enclosed in a bubble. The little tetra I rescue with it, I treated with Sterazin then large wc, 3 days clear and treated with Esha 2000 before it cleared up.

If you have only had them 3 weeks my guess is they were already infected. I doubt removing the plants etc have caused the problem.

Not really Star, it's hard to get a decent pic. I'll try again when I get in. It looks like it's growing out of the fish's body, between the pectoral fin & the gill on one and the gill itself on the other. Never seen anything like it in all the years I've been in the hobby.
Any better?

That's the two together. Best I could get with this phone.

I only discovered the above when I blew up the picture. It doesnt seem like anchor worms, my only other guess would be a bacterial/fungal infection. You might have to stick them in a separate tank and either treat with clean water or something like Esha 2000 which covered just about anything.

On the smaller one it looks like a tangle of worms coming from the gill. From the larger one, it looks like one, thicker growth coming from the body, with a thinner white tip. Really strange. On the smaller one, it looks like it's filling the gill plate.

Anyone think it could be anchor worms?

Star - I know you doubt that, but I can't find anything else that it could be. :(

Anchor worms "normally" have a forked tail, however I suppose there is a possibility of another "species" of anchor type worm that does not have a forked tail. Its certainly not something I have come across either. I would use Esha 2000 as it treats primary and secondary fungal infections, bacterial infections and skin/gill parasites. Treat the whole tank just in case.

It's hard to tell in the pic. Does it look like a tube?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back