Any Idea What Fish This Is?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Egmel

Fishaholic
Reaction score
2693640354_af37779e75_o.jpg

A friend spotted this on a diving holiday in Egypt (North Red Sea) and has been unable to identify it, wondering if you guys could help us out.

Cheers :good:

Not to sure, but since you're on page 3 already with no reply I'll bump you with a suggestion ..... Reminds me of something I saw in the 90's and I'm under correction, but the guy called it a "Nigea" Perchfish or something to that effect, But I think I'm completely off the mark cause my memory not failing, it was in a brackish water tank....

Not to sure, but since you're on page 3 already with no reply I'll bump you with a suggestion ..... Reminds me of something I saw in the 90's and I'm under correction, but the guy called it a "Nigea" Perchfish or something to that effect, But I think I'm completely off the mark cause my memory not failing, it was in a brackish water tank....
Thanks for the bump :)

I'm fairly certain it's not a member of the perch family though I can see why it might get that as a common name, maybe I'll post this in the main chit-chat area and see if anyone sees it there.

Cheers :good:

Yes,It's a Goby fish which is one of the largest families of fish with more than 2,000 taxonomic group in more than 200 kinds.Most are comparatively small, typically less than 10 cm (4 in) in length.
------------------

panella

Yes,It's a Goby fish which is one of the largest families of fish with more than 2,000 taxonomic group in more than 200 kinds.Most are comparatively small, typically less than 10 cm (4 in) in length.
------------------

panella

There are the Goby fish(es) - Brackish - and then there are the something, something Cobi fishes of which the latter are more marine based..... are we not getting a mixup here????... Only a question?

------------------

panella

There are the Goby fish(es) - Brackish - and then there are the something, something Cobi fishes of which the latter are more marine based..... are we not getting a mixup here????... Only a question?
Gobies are found in all waters - from Fresh water to full marine, however the above fish is not a goby, not with that mouth.

I am looking at Scott Michael's Reef Fishes Volume 1 and will agree that it is the Variegated Lizardfish (Synodus variegatus). Distribution of S. variegatus includes the Red Sea which would tally with where this excellent photo (forgot to compliment first time) was taken.

deffinately a beautiful and healthy looking Variegated Lizardfish can you box him up and send him to australia for me me XD HEHE good shot :) ill have to post some of my diving photoes sometime

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back