Any Good Books?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Has any one of you just walked into a library not looking at titles or authors and just randomly picked 3-4 books to take home and read.? I found this is a good exercise in changing your taste in different types of literature. I was always stuck on action pack stories and the authors that write them. But one day I got bored and tired of looking for them and just grabbed 3 books, lucky dip mentality. They were a great read .....my motto is, if you can get through the first 3 pages without falling asleep then its a go. Now my preference is unlimited.
smartass.gif

One more question....has any one read a book that left them feeling freaked out and unsettled, to the point where you couldn't stop thinking about it all day?

I have such a big list of books I want to read I don't really have the problem of getting bored lol, it'll take me years to get through!

And I've had that feeling about one book, the last one of The Hunger Games. I've never had a book plague my mind so much as this one and was quite unsettled for a few days. I think anyone who has read them might understand why. I don't want to ruin anything for people but they are definitely not cheery books!

Has any one of you just walked into a library not looking at titles or authors and just randomly picked 3-4 books to take home and read.? I found this is a good exercise in changing your taste in different types of literature. I was always stuck on action pack stories and the authors that write them. But one day I got bored and tired of looking for them and just grabbed 3 books, lucky dip mentality. They were a great read .....my motto is, if you can get through the first 3 pages without falling asleep then its a go. Now my preference is unlimited.
smartass.gif

One more question....has any one read a book that left them feeling freaked out and unsettled, to the point where you couldn't stop thinking about it all day?

I have such a big list of books I want to read I don't really have the problem of getting bored lol, it'll take me years to get through!

And I've had that feeling about one book, the last one of The Hunger Games. I've never had a book plague my mind so much as this one and was quite unsettled for a few days. I think anyone who has read them might understand why. I don't want to ruin anything for people but they are definitely not cheery books!

I was going to ask you who the Author was to the Hunger Games books so I could go check it out but decided against it. I haven't heard of them and if you were unsettled by them, then it might have the same affect on me too.
ohmy.png
The book that creeped me out was a Stephen King book The Pet sematary . I've read a lot of his books and none of them ever affected me as much as this one. Ever since then I have never read another one of his books, left them well alone.

I love Stephen King. The Stand is my fave. Brilliant book. I do find lately I'm spoiled for choice in the library and I find it's harder to pick something out. Not a bad thing! As for books that stay with me in and unsettling way, I've read some by concentration camp survivors and all they and their families endured and I was certainly affected by them, Great reads though.

Yup O.O "Let the Right One In" was horrible D:

I'm a huge fan of heroic fantasy, so read a lot of stuff like David Gemmell, Bernard Cornwell, George R R Martin, David Eddings, etc. I recommend them to anyone (maybe not a younger audience though!)

I'm assuming Let The Right One In is also the movie? Is the book any good?
I'm itching to read Anthony Keidas (that spelling could well be wrong!) autobiography. I've heard it's very good, even if you're not a fan. He's the lead singer in the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.
I have easy access to 3 libraries here but there's a new one opening on Dec 4th just a 5 minute walk away and I just can't wait to see what's on those shelves!!!!!!
drool.gif

I borrowed a book yesterday but it's upstairs and I'm too lazy to go up and check the title and author. It's set in New Zealand about a police woman who reports an assault and some of her peers turn against her. ( I think. To be honest I just grabbed it as I had the kids with me and I was almost finished my book at home so I was desperate)

Is there anything as bad as only having a little bit of your book left and knowing you don't have another one!
unsure.png

Yes, it's what they adapted the films from. It is nothing like the films, there's some rather disturbing stuff in it. Takes quite a bit to freak me out, but it really did disturb me, and not in the fun way either. It was just wrong >.<

I always get really sad when you get to the end of a good series and know that there will be no more :(

Oh, Neil Gaiman's stuff is fantastic too, especially enjoyed the Graveyard Book and American Gods :)

Oh interesting, I must check Neil Gaiman out. I got Bill Bryson's A Short History of Everything out from the library today. I'v read it twice before but it's a brilliant and fascinating read.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back