Any fish medications suggestions?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

shaziasadiqah

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Anyone can suggest me what general medication you have on hand to treat any fish that is sick?

i just want to be prepared if one day things go wrong.

at the moment i just change my water 50% every week to avoid any bad enviroment for the fish. I also have Methylene Blue and Acriflavine on hand, those two are the ones i use to treat my BGKF with nasty fin rot with a help of antibiotic, too.

any suggestions will be much appreciated, i’m new to this hobby but want to ask around lots and lots before really get into this hobby deeper.

thank you.

Last edited:
Anyone can suggest me what general medication you have on hand to treat any fish that is sick?

i just want to be prepared if one day things go wrong.

at the moment i just change my water 50% every week to avoid any bad enviroment for the fish. I also have Methylene Blue and Acriflavine on hand, those two successfully treat my BGKF with nasty fin rot with a help of antibiotic, too.

any suggestions will be much appreciated, i’m new to this hobby but want to ask around lots and lots before really get into this hobby deeper.

thank you.
I’m not confident with meds so try to avoid them , don’t like putting something in my tank that could effect everything when only 10% are in need of meds
All I have to hand is aquatic salt and fresh water .. I think @Colin_T coukd give you some good recommendations

I’m not confident with meds so try to avoid them , don’t like putting something in my tank that could effect everything when only 10% are in need of meds
All I have to hand is aquatic salt and fresh water .. I think @Colin_T coukd give you some good recommendations
Thank you very much :)

Don’t add any medication if you don’t know what the problem is.

Medication list:
Copper 0.15 mg/litre —> skin and gill protozoans flukes
Formalin (37-40%) 20 mg/litre —> skin flukes
Malachite green 0.2mg/litre —> Fungus and white spot
Potassium permanganate bath 20mg/litre —> fish lice
Metronidazole 7mg/litre —> internal bacterial infections, holes in the head.
Levamisole 200mg/kg fish —> internal parasites, nematodes
Praziquantel 5-100mg/kg fish —> internal parasites, tape worms
Rock Salt, aquarium salt 1 tablespoon/10 litre —> added if you don’t know the problem is but not more than 2 weeks

Last edited:
Don’t add any medication if you don’t know what the problem is.

Copper 0.15 mg/litre —> skin and gill protozoans flukes
Formalin (37-40%) 20 mg/litre —> skin flukes
Malachite green 0.2mg/litre —> Fungus and white spot
Potassium permanganate bath 20mg/litre —> fish lice
Metronidazole 7mg/litre —> internal bacterial infections, holes in the head.
Levamisole 200mg/kg fish —> internal parasites, nematodes
Praziquantel 5-100mg/kg fish —> internal parasites, tape worms
Rock Salt, aquarium salt 1 tablespoon/10 litre —> added if you don’t know the problem is but not more than 2 weeks
Thank you very much!! :)

You can read article about diseases here:

The only things you want on hand are dechlorinator and salt.

If your fish are healthy now, the only reason they will get sick is if you neglect the tank or add new fish.

Do regular tank and filter maintenance and your current fish should be fine.

New fish, plants, shrimp and snails should be quarantined for at least 2 (preferably 4) weeks before adding them to a display tank.

Salt will treat most minor bacterial and fungal infections, as well as most external protozoan infections.

You can read article about diseases here:

Thank you very much :)

The only things you want on hand are dechlorinator and salt.

If your fish are healthy now, the only reason they will get sick is if you neglect the tank or add new fish.

Do regular tank and filter maintenance and your current fish should be fine.

New fish, plants, shrimp and snails should be quarantined for at least 2 (preferably 4) weeks before adding them to a display tank.

Salt will treat most minor bacterial and fungal infections, as well as most external protozoan infections.
Thank you, i do have salt on hand because my LFS told me to also buy the salt when i first bought my BGKF.

Are you adding the salt to the tank?

Salt should only be used if the fish are sick; it should not be used on a routine basis but many shops will tell you that you need it. They are wrong.

No, i just have it on hand just in case one of my fish get sick.

i read somewhere that salt can harm plants, too. So, i only use the salt on a quarantine tank.

my LFS also only told me to buy the salt for emergency use only. He’s not telling to add the salt to water as if it’s water conditioner.

i know many LFS in my Country told their costumer that.

That's good. So many LFS go by the really old fashioned way of adding salt to every tank, so I thought I'd better check :)

No, i just have it on hand just in case one of my fish get sick.

i read somewhere that salt can harm plants, too. So, i only use the salt on a quarantine tank.

my LFS also only told me to buy the salt for emergency use only. He’s not telling to add the salt to water as if it’s water conditioner.

i know many LFS in my Country told their costumer that.
Low levels (2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres of water) of salt won't affect plants but high levels (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) can.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back