3-4x Mystery Snails
_x Trumpet Snails (If possible)
5x ___ Corycatfish (School #1)
5x ___ Corycatfish (School #2)
7x Zebra Danio
6x Glofish
77 DEGREES

Last edited:
I will assume the usual dimensions of a 30g breeder tank, being 36 by 18 by 12 inches; please correct if different.

The "active" fish (Zebra Danio and possibly Glofish) wold be better replaced by less active fish, in deference to the gourami and ram that do not appreciate activity around them.

Glofish is something aquarists should not purchase. Genetically modified at best, sometimes injected with dye, is not something the hobby endorses, and the only way to stop the practice is not acquiring them.

The rubber lip pleco, assuming it is the species Parancistrus aurantiacus, grows to just over 8 inches, which I suggest is too large for this tank.

I wold avoid dwarf gourami unless you can get them from a reliable breeder/source (not meaning the store, unless they know exactly who bred them). This species especially when from SE Asia is still known to carry the untreatable iridovirus. It is also generally best not to mix cichlids and gourami as they are so similar in temperament; males of both are territorial, to varying degrees, but a male Bolivian Ram will consider this tank "his" which is fine but not if other similarly-aggressive fish are present.

Eight otos seems a lot, but if you like them, fine. Just make sure there is plenty of natural algae before introducing them; while they will learn to feed from disks (kelp and algae-based) initially they frequently die if natural algae is not available.

This may seem like everything nearly is being tossed out, but some of it is the combination more than the fish themselves.

I will assume the usual dimensions of a 30g breeder tank, being 36 by 18 by 12 inches; please correct if different.

The "active" fish (Zebra Danio and possibly Glofish) wold be better replaced by less active fish, in deference to the gourami and ram that do not appreciate activity around them.

Glofish is something aquarists should not purchase. Genetically modified at best, sometimes injected with dye, is not something the hobby endorses, and the only way to stop the practice is not acquiring them.

The rubber lip pleco, assuming it is the species Parancistrus aurantiacus, grows to just over 8 inches, which I suggest is too large for this tank.

I wold avoid dwarf gourami unless you can get them from a reliable breeder/source (not meaning the store, unless they know exactly who bred them). This species especially when from SE Asia is still known to carry the untreatable iridovirus. It is also generally best not to mix cichlids and gourami as they are so similar in temperament; males of both are territorial, to varying degrees, but a male Bolivian Ram will consider this tank "his" which is fine but not if other similarly-aggressive fish are present.

Eight otos seems a lot, but if you like them, fine. Just make sure there is plenty of natural algae before introducing them; while they will learn to feed from disks (kelp and algae-based) initially they frequently die if natural algae is not available.

This may seem like everything nearly is being tossed out, but some of it is the combination more than the fish themselves.

I do know where the gourami came from, and I currently have him. I have him in another tank that I'm tearing down. (Hence the reason I'm moving him.) The algae is growing nicely for the otos. The glofish are actually bred without any injections of colour. I didn't mean to type in rubber lip pleco, I meant Bristlenose/Bushynose pleco. I also don't know what two schools of corydoras I should get. I'm thinking Salt&Pepper with pandas? I've been hearing mixed reviews about the Zebrafish, some are telling me to get guppies but I know they don't take on the abuse too well, while others tell me platies (who are tempted to bully tankmates.) I'm considering Harlequin Rosaboras, but I'm still drawn for the zebras. I'm also confused on how I feel about whether or not I should nix the ram, I also hear mixed feelings about it.

What about getting a double tier stand and have 2 fish tanks (one above the other)?

Then you could have your Corydoras, Otocinclus, Danios & tetras in one tank, and keep the gourami in another tank.

You could even get a triple tier stand and have a 3ft x 18in x 18in tank on top, then the 3 x 18 x 12 in the middle, and a couple of 18in x 18in x 18in on the bottom.

Then the gouramis could have their own little tank specifically for them, and you could use one of the bigger tanks for the Cories, Otos, Danios & Tetras, and the other big tank for the suckermouth catfish (bristlenose and livebearers. The second small tank could be for the baby livebearers.

What about getting a double tier stand and have 2 fish tanks (one above the other)?

Then you could have your Corydoras, Otocinclus, Danios & tetras in one tank, and keep the gourami in another tank.

You could even get a triple tier stand and have a 3ft x 18in x 18in tank on top, then the 3 x 18 x 12 in the middle, and a couple of 18in x 18in x 18in on the bottom.

Then the gouramis could have their own little tank specifically for them, and you could use one of the bigger tanks for the Cories, Otos, Danios & Tetras, and the other big tank for the suckermouth catfish (bristlenose and livebearers. The second small tank could be for the baby livebearers.
Unfortunately that option is unavailable for me. I don't have space to get another tank (especially with my biocube on the way) and so I may only put the gourami in that tank with everyone. What seems to be the main conflict with the stocking plan? I can say my DG is pretty relaxed, he's lived with my red wag platies and he was very calm with them around. There was a small chase once when he was first added, but that was the end. Just figured I should mention this in case it helps. I also already know what to do with any accidental fry too. If my plan is overstocking then I am willing to cut back on the plan.- Also the pleco is BN not RL, my fault when typing.

The Glofish you mention, are they the same as the ones in the following link? If yes what type are you getting?
https://www.glofish.com/

Glofish are expensive and to put a dwarf gourami in a tank with them is in my opinion, a waste of money. I know you already have the gourami but they are disease carriers and I totally agree with Byron to try and avoid them. You can't do that because you already have the fish but my main concern is the dwarf gourami and the number and variety of diseases they carry. The two main diseases they have are Tuberculosis (TB) and the Iridovirus. They can have these for months and show no signs at all, then one day they get sick and die. Then all the other fishes in the tank contract it and die further down the track.

If you are buying Glofish, like the ones in the above link, those fishes need to be kept in groups (because they are tetras & danios) and that means you will be spending a lot of money to have a school of them. Keeping a dwarf gourami with them could end up costing you a lot of money if the gourami has TB or the Iridovirus.

--------------------
You only need one type of snail. If you have several species, one will usually out compete the other species and you eventually end up with one species. I would keep the mystery/ apple snails because they are bigger, easier to see and don't breed as readily as the livebearing snails that can easily take over a tank.

--------------------
Try to make a cave at one end of the tank for the Bolivian ram so it doesn't set up home in the middle and chase the catfish all the time.

--------------------
My last concern is about the number of bottom dwellers you have planned for the tank. A 3foot long x 18inch wide tank is good but 12inches high is not. And there are a lot of bottom dwelling fishes that you want.

10 Corydoras and a Bristlenose would be fine, but adding 8 more Otocinclus could cause problems because the b/nose will claim the tank as their own and try to drive the Otocinclus out of the area. Algae eating fishes have territories and defend them quite aggressively. So a 4 inch b/nose will try to chase the small Otocinclus away from its food.

8-10 Corydoras and 4-6 Otocinclus and no bristlenose would be better.

The Glofish you mention, are they the same as the ones in the following link? If yes what type are you getting?
https://www.glofish.com/

Glofish are expensive and to put a dwarf gourami in a tank with them is in my opinion, a waste of money. I know you already have the gourami but they are disease carriers and I totally agree with Byron to try and avoid them. You can't do that because you already have the fish but my main concern is the dwarf gourami and the number and variety of diseases they carry. The two main diseases they have are Tuberculosis (TB) and the Iridovirus. They can have these for months and show no signs at all, then one day they get sick and die. Then all the other fishes in the tank contract it and die further down the track.

If you are buying Glofish, like the ones in the above link, those fishes need to be kept in groups (because they are tetras & danios) and that means you will be spending a lot of money to have a school of them. Keeping a dwarf gourami with them could end up costing you a lot of money if the gourami has TB or the Iridovirus.

--------------------
You only need one type of snail. If you have several species, one will usually out compete the other species and you eventually end up with one species. I would keep the mystery/ apple snails because they are bigger, easier to see and don't breed as readily as the livebearing snails that can easily take over a tank.

--------------------
Try to make a cave at one end of the tank for the Bolivian ram so it doesn't set up home in the middle and chase the catfish all the time.

--------------------
My last concern is about the number of bottom dwellers you have planned for the tank. A 3foot long x 18inch wide tank is good but 12inches high is not. And there are a lot of bottom dwelling fishes that you want.

10 Corydoras and a Bristlenose would be fine, but adding 8 more Otocinclus could cause problems because the b/nose will claim the tank as their own and try to drive the Otocinclus out of the area. Algae eating fishes have territories and defend them quite aggressively. So a 4 inch b/nose will try to chase the small Otocinclus away from its food.

8-10 Corydoras and 4-6 Otocinclus and no bristlenose would be better.
Yes, I plan on getting glofish tetras. I've had my gourami for a while now. He has no parasites, he was quarantined for 6 weeks, but is staying the that quarantine tank while I wait for the fish, he's been in there for over a month and I'm constantly checking on him. I am pretty confident as far as disease goes, my past school of glofish (6 green ones) lived in peace with my old powder blue. I don't think I'll be needing trumpet snails. I'll just hand on to my mysteries. Yes, I have a cave for the ram, I really have my heart set on a pleco. I'm not sure which I should nix. Either the Corydoras or Otocinclus. Curious- if I get less cories, do you think I'd be able to get both?

Last edited:
Fewer Corydoras would provide more space for a bristlenose catfish but then you have to make sure there is plenty of food and hiding places for the Otocinclus. There could be arguments between the b/nose and the Otos. They might be alright but there might be issues and the Otos will probably come off second best.
If you get a small b/nose and grow them up together, there will be more chance of them getting along with each other.

Make sure you have some driftwood in the tank if you keep any algae eating catfish. They graze on the wood and it helps their digestion :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back