Any advice!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Good point. It looks much more like something contaminating than a cycle crash. I forgot to ask about the hand sanitizer! :S
We havenā€™t used hand sanitizer in a while we did a water change and added seachem prime itā€™s seemed to help some.

Only thing we can come up with is their was a main water break close to us when we did the water change that could of had something to do with it Iā€™m not sure it didnā€™t hurt our water pressure so Iā€™m not sure. They seem a little better after we did the water change and added seachem prime

Only thing we can come up with is their was a main water break close to us when we did the water change that could of had something to do with it Iā€™m not sure it didnā€™t hurt our water pressure so Iā€™m not sure. They seem a little better after we did the water change and added seachem prime
Could be. I'd do another WC tomorrow depending on the activity levels of the fish and if anymore pass. Keep us updated :).

When there is damage to the water pipes or the water company does work on the pipes, they increase the amount of chlorine or chloramine to make sure any contaminants are killed off. My guess is you chlorinated the fish.

You should always dechlorinate new water and aerate it for at least 5 (preferably 30 minutes before using it in an established aquarium. However, even this may not be enough to remove all the chlorine/ chloramine if they add a lot. Sometimes they double or triple dose chlorine/ chloramine after working on the pipes and then a single dose of dechlorinator is still not going to make any difference.

For everyone reading this, if you do a water change on your aquarium and the fish suddenly start gasping, or go really pale in colour, or die within a short time after adding the new water, add a double dose of dechlorinator on top of what you have already used. 99% of the time when fish start dying after a water change, it's because of excess chlorine/ chloramine in the tap water.

When there is damage to the water pipes or the water company does work on the pipes, they increase the amount of chlorine or chloramine to make sure any contaminants are killed off. My guess is you chlorinated the fish.

You should always dechlorinate new water and aerate it for at least 5 (preferably 30 minutes before using it in an established aquarium. However, even this may not be enough to remove all the chlorine/ chloramine if they add a lot. Sometimes they double or triple dose chlorine/ chloramine after working on the pipes and then a single dose of dechlorinator is still not going to make any difference.

For everyone reading this, if you do a water change on your aquarium and the fish suddenly start gasping, or go really pale in colour, or die within a short time after adding the new water, add a double dose of dechlorinator on top of what you have already used. 99% of the time when fish start dying after a water change, it's because of excess chlorine/ chloramine in the tap water.
That's good to know . I remember l lost fish when they were scouring/cleaning the pipes . Always thought the water must be still fine when they let us drink it . Never thought of extra chlorine or stuff in it

Most reactions

Back