Any advice on how to clear this up?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Biglog

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have algae that is taking over my tank despite 2 water changes a week and constant cleaning. I dose Excel every other day and Flourish twice a week. Lights are on 6 hours. Any advice on how to clean it up would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 61B24E91-0EDC-4DC0-91B7-FA1D61260471.jpeg
    61B24E91-0EDC-4DC0-91B7-FA1D61260471.jpeg
    367 KB · Views: 99
That is a mess. The light duration should be OK, so on the light next question is, what is the spectrum (it looks OK in the photo, but do you know the Kelvin?) and the intensity. Have the light on a timer so it is only on the same 6-hour period each 24 hours, this is important for fish as well as plants.

Reduce your use of "fertilizers," they are clearly encouraging algae. Natural nutrients (fish being fed, water changes) may or may not be sufficient, but Flourish Comprehensive should be added once a week only, at the level recommended on the bottle (or less, but not more). Do not use the Excel, it is only adding to the problem, and it is dangerous to fish and plants and bacteria as it contains glutaraldehyde [research this to see how deadly this substance is].

Floating plants can help, both by shading the lower tank and by their incredible uptake of nutrients especially ammonia.

Do you know what kind of algae this is so I can better target it? I’m using a Hygger LED off of Amazon

Do you know what kind of algae this is so I can better target it? I’m using a Hygger LED off of Amazon
Green algae! :D

No, seriously...at this stage it doesn't really matter what sort of algae it is, as all of the methods suggested by @Byron would apply.
Cleaning at least the front glass, prior to taking the photo, would help us be more specific about the type of algae, but I suspect you have diatoms, floating green 'dust' algae, hair algae and green spot algae. I think you might have escaped the troublesome black beard and blue-green algae, but I can't be sure without a better view.

Please don't be tempted to use a bottled algicide. Regardless of what it'll say on the bottle, the stuff isn't good for fish and with help, you can clean up without resorting to chemicals.

How much of those ornaments can be removed. These could be scrubbed out of the tank.

Is that a plant substrate alongside your 'beach' area? This and the sand will need a thorough cleaning with a syphon and you need to fast your fish for a couple of days. (Overfeeding provides nutrients for the algae).

Once you've removed what you can, you could think about replacing your plants with new, algae-free ones.

Does the tank get direct sunlight from a window? If so you may need to re-site the tank to cure the problem.

The long thin strands are green filamentous algae. Pull it out manually and reduce the fertiliser to once a week. If you want to add fertiliser more than once a week, do a big water change before adding it so you don't overdose. The extra fertiliser is the most probable cause of the algae.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back