Anubias?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Flyer99

Reaction score
Hello guys, just received these as a gift, but the person didn't tell me what they are?

Am I right in saying the big one is an anubias?

Not sure what the smaller ones are, unless they're baby plants from the mother.

Any info and also any tips on how to keep them and make them flourish
IMG_6232.jpg
IMG_6233.jpg
IMG_6234.jpg
would be appreciated.

Kind wishes to all.

Attachments

• IMG_6235.jpg
    IMG_6235.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 87
The large one is definitely anubias. I think the small ones are too, but a smaller variety. Anubias are one of the hardiest aquarium plants available so there's not a lot of stuff you need to do. So long as there's a source of nitrogen (e.g. fish waste or fertilizer if it's a fishless tank) and a light source. The one thing I would say is be sure not to bury the roots in substrate. They prefer their roots not to be buried. I use aquarium glue to attach them to rocks or decor. You can also use suction cups and cable ties to stick them to the wall of the aquarium.

They are Anubias attach them to a piece of wood with cable ties or Nylon thread and away you go. No ferts needed just fish poo.

The small one is a barteri var nana and the large one is a barteri var barteri. Both fairly common - when you 'plant' them be sure to NOT bury the rhizome (the long piece the leaves and root grow off of) in fact this should probably not touch the substrate as it will rot. Some people attach them to rocks/drift wood with glue or string but i never take that route. They are slow growing plants that require minimal amounts of light.

The large one is definitely anubias. I think the small ones are too, but a smaller variety. Anubias are one of the hardiest aquarium plants available so there's not a lot of stuff you need to do. So long as there's a source of nitrogen (e.g. fish waste or fertilizer if it's a fishless tank) and a light source. The one thing I would say is be sure not to bury the roots in substrate. They prefer their roots not to be buried. I use aquarium glue to attach them to rocks or decor. You can also use suction cups and cable ties to stick them to the wall of the aquarium.
Thank you, unfortunately I haven't got any rock big enough for the large anubias (its very big), so i've placed a weight underneath it and just pressed it slightly into the substrate, leaving the large rhizome above it and most of the roots, whereas the smaller ones ive used some black sewing thread and placed them on some rocks. Thanks again :)

The small one is a barteri var nana and the large one is a barteri var barteri. Both fairly common - when you 'plant' them be sure to NOT bury the rhizome (the long piece the leaves and root grow off of) in fact this should probably not touch the substrate as it will rot. Some people attach them to rocks/drift wood with glue or string but i never take that route. They are slow growing plants that require minimal amounts of light.
Ah thats interesting, thanks for letting me know the two types! As mentioned in a reply above, ive just pushed it a little bit in the substrate to keep it down, but the entire rhizome is above. Thank you!

Idea - little suction cups (like the ones to hold the thermometer in the tank) - I used those and some clear fishing line, attached the plant to it and whacked it onto the glass :) I know you can try cotton thread too, or the aquarium glue. Made my background much nicer and fish love to hide there :) I would try that if you want to add some height to your plants :)

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-06-16 at 07.17.08.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-06-16 at 07.17.08.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 83
Idea - little suction cups (like the ones to hold the thermometer in the tank) - I used those and some clear fishing line, attached the plant to it and whacked it onto the glass :) I know you can try cotton thread too, or the aquarium glue. Made my background much nicer and fish love to hide there :) I would try that if you want to add some height to your plants :)
Great idea looks fantastic, wish I had thought of that

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back